1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First coop/run questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Pimp, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Chicken Pimp

Chicken Pimp Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Florida
    1: My chicken run has some very nice rich soil that I purchased long ago when gardening, plenty of Earthworms... Only issue is after it rains it gets muddy. I was thinking about bringing sand in (2 or 3 inches) but will I be wasting money. Will the Chickens eventually just mix the sand with the original soil and not really accomplishing anything?

2: I have a 2x4 rounded as a roost, at what age will they be large enough to roost on it and should I go with something smaller or will it work out at the same time they are ready to roost?

3: My Chicken run is fenced by 2x4 welded wire. At what age are chickens large enough so they can't get through?

4: Can plants be planted in a run or do plants not have a chance unless protected?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    #2 i build a small short roost for the babies so they learn to use it. its not a matter of age as much as size. #3 same thing, depends on size of chicken. #4 no plants in the run will stay with chickens. you would need a very big space to a couple chickens to even keep grass. maybe a tree or large shrub that is deep rooted? i am trying that myself.

3. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by