First Coturnix Eggs

troseblad

Chirping
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Bartlett, TX
New to the hobby. Bought birds on 5/13 after reading many posts in this forum. I went with 4-5 week old to start with. I have 8 (2M/6F) in a 2' x 4' rabbit hutch. Collected my first egg today!! Getting hooked. Thanks for all the helpful information. I would post pics but am still blocked by the newbie spam filter.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your birds,

Well welcome to the quail board! What is the plan for your birds? meat, eggs, pets? All the above? I think most folks get there first birds "just because".... I like idea of keeping the frig full of quail and eggs, but it aint... I have eaten alot of my birds but raise nowhere near enough to have a steady supply for the table. Lots of eggs get pickled thou. Guess if I put more in the bator instead of a jar, there would be more in the freezer! go figure...
wink.png
Hit us with pix when ya can... Bill

I am raising them for eggs, meat and fertilizer for the garden. Toying with the idea of making a pen that would fit over my raised beds. I hope to start incubating sometime this summer. Haven't gotten an incubator yet.

I would research the over the garden pen. IMHO, Quail crap is too "hot" for the concentration your lookin at. Best to make a pile and spread it as needed. Coturnix eat alot, grow fast, LAY stupid amounts of eggs and produce HUGE amounts of crap!!! As you undoubtedly have already discovered... Bill

You are probably right. At least they will keep the compost cookin'. From what I've read, your pickling recipe is hard to beat. Looking forward to having enough eggs to give it a try.

Quote:
Well, if ya like that sorta thing... Anything I drop on the way to my mouth, lands on my belly. Has something to do with my Adonis-like build.
lau.gif
Seems the Louisiana hot sauce stains anything it touches... All my tee shirts have the same orange "birth mark" on the front. Bill

Quote:
Well, if ya like that sorta thing... Anything I drop on the way to my mouth, lands on my belly. Has something to do with my Adonis-like build.
lau.gif
Seems the Louisiana hot sauce stains anything it touches... All my tee shirts have the same orange "birth mark" on the front. Bill

gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom