First Crow...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SkyWarrior, Jul 10, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    This morning I heard a rather odd noise coming from the barn/coop. Sort of an Ur-ur-urrrrrh noise. It repeated itself a couple more times.

It wasn't particularly loud, but loud enough for me to hear it in the bedroom. I think my chicks are finally growing up.[​IMG]

2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    sounds like you have at least one rooster lol. Never forget my first time hearing a new crow. I was sitting at the computer late one evening when I heard something coming from my spare bedroom where I had the chicks brooding. Here a 5 week old silkie was just starting to crow It did finally get DH off his duff to finish the coop thou lol

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    It can sometimes take a long time for them to get it right.

I have a 10 month old brahma who still makes an awful noise. But he is practicing to try to get it right....and practicing and practicing and practicing,

Sandie

4. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    My silkie rooster just started crowing a few days ago. It's so funny. He goes ruuuu ruuuu..............then a few seconds later a pitiful little ru like he ran out of breath.

5. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I was so thrilled when my cockerels started crowing. I don't know how that sound could bother anyone.

6. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:I have about 50 Crowing roosters in the yard try that on for size.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. NorthEndFarmer

NorthEndFarmer New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    Two of my roosters sound as if they are clearing their throats for the past few weeks. While one has a strong crow each morning. It would be nice if the two wouldn't have a full crow so I could keep them within the city limits. Do all roosters get past the throat clearing stage and have a real crow? What are they odds of them not crowing?

- North End Farmer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by