First cull, absolute heartbreak

Even if her death was not as quick as you would have liked it to be, it was still so much quicker then if nothing had been done.
All animals (and humans) die sometime, it is just a question of who goes first, and I like to think that one has to go first to get things ready for the others.
Its so hard doing the right thing, sometimes, but you just have to know that its the right thing, and close your heart a little bit and get it over with.
Lots of hugs :hugs :hugs

Just now culled my 3 day old baby chick... It's not easy...
It was hatched with what I think was wry neck, and could only stay on it's back.
I gave it vitamin E, and put it in a little box under the brooder plate with a sock holding it upright.
Today it could stay upright on it's own, but I noticed it's legs were horribly sprayed, it had only 1 eye, and just was not developed.
My last hatch, I had one that's leg was twisted around the back of it's body... I would hold it to eat and drink, and eventually it would stand and hop on one leg and could do everything normally... But, this chick today just didn't have much hope, so I felt it was most humane to cull it.
I had never culled a chicken and emotionally it's not easy...
I found the most bearable way was to put the chick in a non see thru bag, put a blunt knife over it's neck and swiftly strike the knife.
I know it is much better off...

@Desertbabies I think you and your husband had normal reactions to the death of your baby chick. Grief is a powerful emotion, everyone deals with it differently, there is no wrong way!
As you said, you held, cuddled, loved and did your best to help her.
I know this happened over two months ago, but I wanted to share my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom