First cull, absolute heartbreak

Desertbabies

Chirping
May 8, 2022
I am posting here because I’m having a bit of a mental breakdown and feel like I need to talk to other chicken people right now.

Ive had my flock for a year and a half, and recently let my broody buff orpington hatch a clutch (we have a rooster). A week ago today, we had 7 live hatchlings, and 3 who died during hatch. Of the 7, one had what I thought was severe spraddle leg. I set up an indoor brooder and did all the bracing and physical therapy, but didn’t make any progress. Upon more research, it seemed the little chick had slipped tendons. But she was happy and eating and drinking and liked to snuggle.

This morning I woke up and she was in pain in her brooder. She was holding her leg inward and screaming if I tried to stand her up or touch it. It almost seemed broken. She was breathing hard and I could tell she was suffering. Sobbing, I called my husband in and told him it was time.

Having grown up on a farm, my husband knows how to cull a chicken (I myself have never). But never a baby chick. I became nervous that he wouldn’t be able to “thumb” her quick enough to avoid suffering, so a farmer friend of ours recommended the vinegar and baking soda method. I went in our room and sobbed into a pillow while my husband went to do the deed. Ten minutes later, he returned… crying. In 14 years I’ve never seen this man cry. Apparently the vinegar/baking soda caused the chick to lose consciousness, but not die. So he had to go to plan B, which he won’t describe to me.

I am so heartbroken, and the sight of my husband so upset made it all the more traumatic, as I know it was not a clean cull. I know it was just a little chick but I cannot stop crying. I loved on that baby all week. My heart hurts so badly. I am clearly not cut out for farm life. I can’t explain why I’m feeling so much grief and guilt. I honestly feel like rehoming my whole flock at this moment, because there’s no way I could go through this heartbreak over and over.

Culling is also… well… gruesome. Why isn’t there a simple medication or injection that can allow them to simply fall sleep peacefully?

How does one ever get used to this? The guilt is overwhelming.

Rest In Peace, little Avery Faye.

Attachments

• 53661345-A38B-489D-98BD-AD5F5E8E2EA5.jpeg
    53661345-A38B-489D-98BD-AD5F5E8E2EA5.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 146
It is never easy to cull baby chicks! Never! The only thing that you can think of is you are ending the suffering. How would their life be like if you wouldn't cull? I have a really heavy chinese kitchen knife that I use if I have to cull freshly hatched chicks. Just take the head off. It's over very quickly, for you and the chick.
I'm sorry for your experience... at least next time you know how not to do it.

This is the saddest part of keeping chickens and I feel your pain. I've had several chicks over the years that had to be culled, and I can never do it myself. It *does* get easier to bear the more you have to do it, but the first is always heartbreaking. I'm so sorry you're going through this.
When you've recovered enough, please read through this article and bookmark it. It describes in detail how to cull a chick humanely.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-for-squeamish-people-slightly-graphic.74734/

When raising chickens one gets intimate with death, and the truth is that most of the time death is not graceful

My own chickens have taught me to be tougher as the years go by. My hens with ruthlessly kill predators, sickly chicks, damaged eggs, and eat all of them without a second thought

People often forget that chickens are merciless predators themselves

Oh I am so sorry. I had to cull a chick back about a month ago, as her intestines were on the outside. 😞

No one was willing to help me, my husband wanted to wait and see…so I hopped on BYC, got a super sharp pair of scissors, and ended its suffering in about 1 quick second. And then I bawled. Not just a sad cry, a deep bawl.

It is part of being a responsible chicken owner to be able to do things like this, but it doesn’t make it any easier. You both did the right thing to not have this little one suffer. I’m sorry you had to go through all of that. :hugs

I am so sorry for your loss. I have held chickens as they pass away but never have had to cull. I can't imagine how much it hurts to have to put her down. Just know that you did the right thing. You helped end her hurting and now she is in a better place with all the other chicks. Much love. :hugs

Oh I'm so sorry to read your post and hear what happened. I am at the very start of my chicken keeping journey and had plans to raise them for meat and eggs with the view that I'd rather know they had a happy life / humane end with me than not knowing what they had been subjected to but this story makes me wonder if my glasses are too rose tinted. I am sorry for the way in which you lost this little chick, that must have been heart breaking. x

Back
Top Bottom