Vote - to cull or not to cull

Pics
One of the kids said, "its like we have a whole new life, without Moonlight." Also, the farm is so much more peaceful without the squeaking of hens being attacked. I am so relieved. Thanks for your support in this decision. I feel like we have gone through an initiation and are on the other side. Farm life can be hard. Raising chicks from babies, wat hong them mature and connecting with them, then harvesting them for food. The cycle of life.

Done. He and 2 others were processed for soup today. The kids learned how to clean chickens and we are looking forward to soup. Rest on peace boys.

It's a hard decision sometimes. :hugs

I am glad the kids are at peace in the yard again and no hens are being harassed by his antics.

One of the kids said, "its like we have a whole new life, without Moonlight." Also, the farm is so much more peaceful without the squeaking of hens being attacked. I am so relieved. Thanks for your support in this decision. I feel like we have gone through an initiation and are on the other side. Farm life can be hard. Raising chicks from babies, wat hong them mature and connecting with them, then harvesting them for food. The cycle of life.
Good job!

I really appreciate all the input and information this thread has offered. IWe were dealing with similar issues with one of My favorite Roos. Needless to say the g lock and home are much more peaceful since he's been gone!
We rehomed him, new flock, only roo. Win win I'd say.

Its just been such a tough year for my chicken adventures.

I incubated 12 eggs, 5 hatched. Of those 5, 4 were cockerels. So, I bought 10 straight runs chicks, 7 were cockerels and one of the pullets had such a bad scissor beak, she died. So out of 15 chicks we had 3 pullets. I bought 4 pullets on a whim while at Tractor Supply.

We bought a property that came with 34 laying hens and a rooster, all malnourished. Learned a lot and I still have another 6 cockerels to decide what to do with.

Now, my favorite cockerel (also the first born and my first chick ever hatched) is getting aggressive, destined, as it seems, for freezer camp. Bitter chicken days.
This is my first year and I almost quit. Sorry you're having a tough go too. 💜

I got a aggressive roo. I let him live cause he is a male animal and he does what roosters do. I also have a 4,6,10, amd 16 year Olds who love to grab sticks and run the aggression right out of him. They don't strike him but they assert with sticks and herd him around like a cow. We got him down to once a week being a d bag. And the kids love the activity.

Back
Top Bottom