Vote - to cull or not to cull

There are no children around my chickens, and so I had no intention of commenting, even though I agreed with those who have said "cull because the cockerel is a danger to your children."
Its to a point now when our dogs are beginning to go after chickens because they want to protect us. Our dogs have never gone after chickens and they have been around them their whole lives. When they see their people attacked, however, it teaches them that chickens are a threat.
However, this gives me a reason to comment. You also stated earlier that the cockerel has begun attacking your dogs, and that you "don't want a one-eyed dog. " My flock's safety while free-ranging depends on the ever watchful eyes, ears and noses of my LGDs. It would therefore be completely unacceptable if a rooster began attacking my dogs. It would also be unacceptable and unfair if my dogs felt a need to defend me against any rooster that I tolerated attacking me, since I thoroughly train my dogs to show zero aggression towards chickens.

I understand your fondness for Moonlight the cockerel, and am sorry for the decision you need to make. I also think your concern is valid that your other cockerels may observe and learn unwanted behaviors from Moonlight. For the well being of your children, neighbors and dogs, I also vote cull.

Can't you find someone that will take him? A farm, maybe? I think you should just give him a chance; culling him just because he is doing what many roosters do is not fair in my opinion. Every rooster should have a chance at life :(
Good roosters aren't people aggressive. that's like saying I shouldn't get a speeding tickets because most people speed.
It's still wrong and I should get fined for putting others and myself at risk.
Fairness and justice are often two different things, fairness is giving everyone a chance and justice is rewarding or punishing good and bad.
He's had a nice little life and is now putting others at risk. It is Just to give him a humane end if he's threatening a child.

What a waste, he is such a beautiful bird.
Not a waste if you eat him.

So out of 21 people (if I am correct) we have 20 for culling and 1 for not culling.
Don't let the few tenderhearted get you down or throw shades of guilt on your reason and logic.

I have a 4 month old white face Spanish/black copper maran cockerel who has started going after our children and adult land partners. I hatched him, so he hasn't ever come after me. He stalks them, does his wing dance and then tries to peck them. His spurs are still small and dull. He is good with the hens and has gained his own little flock. He finds them food, protects them and does his roosterly duties.

We have a 1 year old who he runs from and has never challenged, a 4 year old, 5 year old, a 6 year old who are afraid of him. We also have a 13 year old with special needs who is not afraid, but has been chased. Just today, he faced off with 7 year old, she kept trying to kick him away, but he didn't back down, so I grabbed him and put him in an isolation cage. Then I had the children feed him and talk nicely to him. Not even an hour later he went after the 5 year old and his mom.

Cull or not to cull?
at 4 months old, you are in the puberty phase. He views them as a threat. I would put him and his ladies in a run to keep them away from the other people and their children. Anyone kicking at him will just reaffirm that they are a threat and will encourage him to be more aggressive. If it is not possible to put them in an enclosed run, I would try to rehome him. If he is good with you and his ladies, there is probably more to his reaction to the others.

at 4 months old, you are in the puberty phase. He views them as a threat. I would put him and his ladies in a run to keep them away from the other people and their children. Anyone kicking at him will just reaffirm that they are a threat and will encourage him to be more aggressive. If it is not possible to put them in an enclosed run, I would try to rehome him. If he is good with you and his ladies, there is probably more to his reaction to the others.
He is still winning over "his ladies" I am not sure yet which ones are his and which are not.

I not afraid of him at all. I can crouch down right next to him with my back turned and I don't even worry for a moment. Its just strangers and kids that he goes for. So sad!

Such a pretty boy.

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_195525_255.jpg
    IMG_20230820_195525_255.jpg
    712.8 KB · Views: 10
@Mamalana , though almost everyone including your kids have voted to cull him, it is YOU who will be making the final choice and doing the deed. Did you already say you can't build him a separate pen? If you could separate him for several months (or longer) until his hormones settle down, that would help you know for sure whether his future behaviors will change or not. While I haven't wavered on my vote to cull him due to the circumstances you discussed, that is a permanent decision that YOU will have to live with, not us anonymous members making our votes. If you decide to spare his life at least for now, I would absolutely separate and confine him asap before he injures a human or dog. Doing so for even a few days may give you time to be at peace with your decision if you decide to cull.

Back
Top Bottom