My rooster attached me

nashua

Songster
5 Years
Nov 18, 2018
I bought six chicks from Tractor Supply and one turned out to be a rooster. He is a Barred Rock about 7 months old. I have 7 hens. Everything has gone well until a few days ago, he came up behind me and pecked my leg pretty hard. I had on boots; no damage. I used the rake I use to sweep him away. He did it again yesterday. Today out of nowhere, he attacked the rake and then jumped at me in the air. I hit him with the rake. He didn't stop. He attacked and I hit him several times. He backed off and I went and got a larger rake. He stayed away then. He is a large rooster, over twice the size of the pullets.
I am 78 years old and this is my first rooster though I have kept hens for years.
He has to go. Best way to cull him? (I do have a strong husband who will help).

Best way to cull him? (I do have a strong husband who will help).

Are you asking about the actual details of how to kill the chicken?

If so, you might find this thread helpful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-do-you-cull-chickens.1553562/

There are a number of suggestions, and some discussion of them.

My personal preference: hold the chicken by the feet and wingtips with one hand, so it hangs upside down. When it quits flapping and sticks out its head, lay the head on a chopping block and cut it off with one stroke of a sharp hatchet (or a similar tool, such as an ax, machete, cleaver, etc.)

There are several other common methods as well, but I do not have personal experience with them.

I bought six chicks from Tractor Supply and one turned out to be a rooster. He is a Barred Rock about 7 months old. I have 7 hens. Everything has gone well until a few days ago, he came up behind me and pecked my leg pretty hard. I had on boots; no damage. I used the rake I use to sweep him away. He did it again yesterday. Today out of nowhere, he attacked the rake and then jumped at me in the air. I hit him with the rake. He didn't stop. He attacked and I hit him several times. He backed off and I went and got a larger rake. He stayed away then. He is a large rooster, over twice the size of the pullets.
I am 78 years old and this is my first rooster though I have kept hens for years.
He has to go. Best way to cull him? (I do have a strong husband who will help).
We use branch clippers after holding the bird upside down for a short while. If the bird fits, a kill cone is great. If they're too big or small, one person holds them by their feet and the other does the final blow.

If you have great aim with chopping firewood, you can always remove their head that way too.

I am 65, and don't have the hand strength to handle the hatchet. I use a broomstick or handle of a pitchfork or the rake. Hold upside down, place the stick behind the stick, step on the stick each side, and a quick hard pull upwards. It is done. You can even do this in the near dark, after pulling him off the roost.

Back
Top Bottom