Pinning down a rooster - does it work?

ChasingChooks

Songster
Jan 28, 2024
Hey everyone!

My rooster tried to attack me this afternoon - so now I am looking up how to deal with this! I'm hoping not to cull, as I just got this roo from a friend, who said he was friendly. Up until now, he had been okay.

Does pinning him down on the ground and holding his neck down actually work? I'm not looking for what I need to do with him, just wondering if anyone has used this method and if it works.

Thanks so much!

Hey everyone!

My rooster tried to attack me this afternoon - so now I am looking up how to deal with this! I'm hoping not to cull, as I just got this roo from a friend, who said he was friendly. Up until now, he had been okay.

Does pinning him down on the ground and holding his neck down actually work? I'm not looking for what I need to do with him, just wondering if anyone has used this method and if it works.

Thanks so much!
We've done this with ours. It seems to temperately work. Then the next day or time they see you they revert back to how they were. Usually they start becoming aggressive from growing out of the baby stage or when now introduced to hens. Just remember all animals have their own specific personalities so not one thing will work or not work for all 😊.

With my rooster, what I do is pick him up and touch his face, wattles, comb, and beak. He hates that and it establishes my dominance (authority) over him. Just as a previous poster said with their method, it's only a temporary stop. Also, it only works for me. If someone else comes into my rooster's space who hasn't done this, he will go after them.

My rooster is a small guy and I'm not too concerned about him being exposed to a lot of people. I can handle him and I personally don't mind an excuse to hold him. For you, if you aren't willing to continually put time into him and have a risk of him attacking others, I would rehome him to someone who doesn't care, or cull.
who said he was friendly
Roosters who are 'friendly' are likely to attack, even if they're only 4 months old and have never attacked before in their life. Coming into maturity with hens and no fear of humans will only lead to them coming after you.

Do you think he will calm down after a while? He's been with my hens for over a week. Now that they have settled down over the fighting, he's going after me! :) For now, I guess I will take my broom with me into the coop in case he attacks again....

Do you think he will calm down after a while? He's been with my hens for over a week. Now that they have settled down over the fighting, he's going after me! :) For now, I guess I will take my broom with me into the coop in case he attacks again....
It's also a good idea to wear gloves long sleeve and pants when dealing with roosters

He's friendly to his previous owner cause this person raised him, your a stranger to him of course he's going to attack you.

The way to remedy his behavior is letting him get use to your presence and his new home. This process takes time because not all rooster learn as quickly as others.

It's important to stand your ground when your around him. Just push him in the direction you want him away from you or place a loose plastic bag in your hand or dangle it off your pocket. Most chickens are scared of plastic bags. Remember to be repetitive in your actions with him.

When he does a dance near your feet, walk away. His way of dominating what's in front of him.

Time and patience will change his behavior.

Back
Top Bottom