Pinning down a rooster - does it work?

Hey everyone!

My rooster tried to attack me this afternoon - so now I am looking up how to deal with this! I'm hoping not to cull, as I just got this roo from a friend, who said he was friendly. Up until now, he had been okay.

Does pinning him down on the ground and holding his neck down actually work? I'm not looking for what I need to do with him, just wondering if anyone has used this method and if it works.

Thanks so much!
Have you tried chicken soup?

Do you think he will calm down after a while? He's been with my hens for over a week. Now that they have settled down over the fighting, he's going after me! :) For now, I guess I will take my broom with me into the coop in case he attacks again....
Iā€™ve never been able to treat a rooster long term for attacking humans. Iā€™ve found that some roosters just will not tolerate humans and others have no problem. I finally rehomed my last aggressive rooster, but I can say that rather than a broom, try carrying a squirt bottle with you instead. That worked for us. Sometimes I had to shoot water at his head to keep him away, but it works. I just got tired of him owning my back yard (mine are free range). If itā€™s just in the chicken yard, the water bottle works pretty well.

Hey everyone!

My rooster tried to attack me this afternoon - so now I am looking up how to deal with this! I'm hoping not to cull, as I just got this roo from a friend, who said he was friendly. Up until now, he had been okay.

Does pinning him down on the ground and holding his neck down actually work? I'm not looking for what I need to do with him, just wondering if anyone has used this method and if it works.

Thanks so much!
Patience, training, holding him and singing to him worked for me. But it does take a lot of time and dedication. I'm retired now so I had the time. Now my roo "sings" with me and calls to me throughout the day.

Theres always that one who claims its friendly just to get rid of it. When I got rid of my roos I invited the new owners to come hang with them in the coop and see for themselves and pick which they wanted ( I had 5 at the time ) and all were super tame with kids. But Ive known people local who had some mean roos and "claimed" they were friendly just to get rid of them and heard some stories from others. If it were me, I would also go mingle with any new roos first. Your roo may calm down with just you but will still attack others because they will be classified lower in the pecking order. No guarantee he will warm up to you...its just a chance you take.

I have 11 Roos all different breeds but my boys are great now - they have had their moments running at my ankles etc but time and staying in the run until catching picking up and walking around with them until Iā€™m ready to put them down has worked wonders - mostly It appeared to be around the spring and when hens are getting ready to lay - pinning them down just frightens them and makes them more frightened/aggressive when you approach. I have a red silkie roo who is 10 yrs old this spring who used to attack when we were leaving the run it took a while with him but heā€™s a sweetie now Please donā€™t cull there is usually someone who will have a roo to run with their hens
Good luck šŸ˜€

I love reading about all your problems with roosters, which fortunately I don't have to contend with. It always makes me smile when I read what is obviously the usual abbreviation for rooster as "roo". Here in Australia, where I live, a roo is a kangaroo, which is always my first interpretation when I read your posts - so when you have a kangaROO attacking you, you really have a problem!!

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much!
The first time (and the last time) my roster tried to attack me i dropped kicked him with the side of my foot about ten feet. He got up to give me the stink eye but never tried again.

Back
Top Bottom