Pinning down a rooster - does it work?

Hey everyone!

My rooster tried to attack me this afternoon - so now I am looking up how to deal with this! I'm hoping not to cull, as I just got this roo from a friend, who said he was friendly. Up until now, he had been okay.

Does pinning him down on the ground and holding his neck down actually work? I'm not looking for what I need to do with him, just wondering if anyone has used this method and if it works.

Thanks so much!
I place my naughty roosters in my downstairs bathroom in a cat carrier for timeouts. Mostly to stop frequent fighting over territory and hens. I never tired to pin any of them. Usually they mellow out as they age.

my rooster does never attack people but we have guinea fowl who chase people and whenever they come near me he will attack them? is there anyway i can stop him from doing that

Here is the list I made:

When feeding treats, offer them to the rooster first.
Don't pick up the hens in his presence.
Be careful when collecting eggs. He may or may not tolerate it.
Don't fight with your feet.
Groom him by 'pinching' feathers around his neck and wattles.
No eye contact.
Don't move out of the way.
Keep your personal space.
Don't chase him.
Don't back away.
Don't hunch over.
Talk out loud to them.
Keep your broom with you!
I agree, but I have to add a reminder to not carry any kind of weapon (including brooms and other things that are used to push roosters back) with you when you have a friendly rooster. He will sense your fear, along with see your weapon that could hurt him and his hens, and he could take you as a threat. Of course, carry something if he is aggressive, but never if he is friendly.

I agree, that can easily make a rooster angry because he thinks you are trying to harm his hens. That is actually a good thing for him to be protective of his females, but not too much. My rooster doesn't care if I make one of the hens squat in front of him. All he does is make a warning call when I pick a flighty, screaming hen up, but he goes about his own business. He has a weird personality but it's great.
The funny thing is the rooster waited until the following morning after all the hens were gone .(I had tried to sell the guy this rooster when he bought my hens but ended up giving him my rooster anyway)

my rooster does never attack people but we have guinea fowl who chase people and whenever they come near me he will attack them? is there anyway i can stop him from doing that
No, there is no way you can stop him from attacking other birds besides separating him. If your rooster is friendly towards humans, and he sees guineas chasing you, he might be trying to protect you.

Hey everyone!

My rooster tried to attack me this afternoon - so now I am looking up how to deal with this! I'm hoping not to cull, as I just got this roo from a friend, who said he was friendly. Up until now, he had been okay.

Does pinning him down on the ground and holding his neck down actually work? I'm not looking for what I need to do with him, just wondering if anyone has used this method and if it works.

Thanks so much!
I personally used a spray bottle. If he attacked, he got sprayed. Stopped real fast, but he was a silkie.

Back
Top Bottom