First Cull, Didn't go so well

:hugs My day sounds almost exactly like yours! My little Easter Egger was in a bad way and I wanted to take care of it myself. My husband offered to but I felt it was time for me to own up to it. I watched videos and read articles, I almost tried the broomstick but I used my pellet gun. I will do that again. It's the first time I've ever killed anything and I feel wretched. I'm so sorry you had such a traumatic experience!

You didn't do anything wrong.

I was taught how to do the broomstick method by an experienced teacher and my first few didn't work out textbook perfect. There is a learning curve on everything.

The flapping is the worst part, but I tolerate it better now because I realized that the stronger the flap the better the severing of the spinal cord was.

So sorry it happened that way. Try and take care of yourself. You can know that your not alone, all of us who care for animals will pass through times we cause suffering and it’s always a heavy thing to carry. But it’s a cost of being close to life cycles. Try to be kind to yourself and remember that you gave her the best life you could.
Thank you for your kind words.

Back
Top Bottom