First Cull, Didn't go so well

I'm so sorry. In the world called Perfect, stuff like this doesn't happen but unfortunately this world isn't called Perfect and it does happen from time to time.

I've dealt with Marek's disease in my flock, along with the usual amount of unexpected incidents where I've had to cull a bird to keep it from suffering. Sometimes it goes perfectly, sometimes it doesn't and usually when it doesn't, it's with a bird that has been your favorite.

I always remember talking to a business owner who was a friend of ours. He had taken his young daughter deer hunting for the first time. Her shot was not perfect and she was very upset at the thought of having made the animal suffer. Her father told her that as a hunter, it was her responsibility to find the animal and release it from its suffering as soon as possible. It's what being a responsible hunter is all about. We owe that to the animals we hunt.

As Chicken Owners/Parents, it is the same. You did what you had to do to release an animal from it's suffering. When it didn't go right, you stuck with it. I doubt if she suffered.

Grieve, but do not blame yourselves. You will probably be faced with this again and no, it doesn't get easier but it's part of the responsibility of owning livestock.

Bless you both. Your little lady's spirit is flying free. :hugs

I'm so very sorry, for your loss and the experience. It will probably hurt for some time, but you did the right thing. I've read all the different ways for culling, and in the end I usually bring them to the vet. I want to say it's something like $65 ( I wish it was only $25, gosh that would be nice), but I am thankful I even have the option. I am so afraid of ending up pulling their heads off, or botching it in some other way. I never considered the fact that the pop might not happen.
Hubby and I had to euthanize a little fledgling house sparrow that one of my roosters had caught, he'd broken the poor things leg. We did the car exhaust, it was fast, but I still cried.

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry you went through that. :hugs I am dreading having to cull any full size chickens in the future when ours are older.

I am still new to chicken parenting, but we had to euthanize an ill chick, and we used ether after some research on humane practices for small lab animals. It seemed to me like it went to sleep peacefully, BUT my other half pointed out that the fumes may have been uncomfortable in its lungs before it passed, which is also hard to think about. But I couldn’t bring myself to snip it’s head off with pruning shears.

One thing I have on building your coop. You cannot make it too secure. If you even leave a 3 inch Gap raccoons and possums will get in there. I made the mistake of leaving a gap at the between the roof and the header. Tonight's after putting the chickens in their new coop I had to shoot a raccoon that I got in and couldn't figure out how to get out of course he killed three of my hens before I realize she was in there

Please don't read this if it's too hard, I am going to be honest and it may be too graphic to some readers.
Tonight my husband and I had to make the decision to cull my sick hen. Opal was my favorite hen, raised from a chick, she was such a good girl, a sweetheart.
I have done research since owning hens, knowing some day there may be an emergency, and I wanted a little knowledge about culling methods sitting in my brain just incase.
I felt cervical dislocation, one of the more humaine choices for us.
Tonight, before the act, we watched videos, practiced on our arms, and read articles. We felt it would be fast.
It didn't work out that way 😭
Poor sweet Opal, My husband tried, he pulled as instructed but her head wouldn't dislocate! He tried a few more times, I think Opal went unconscious a few times, but she didn't die!
We were horrified but had to continue, we were too far into this. I tried, I couldn't feel the crack or dislocation like they said I would.
We laid her down, and thought she was dead, but I could see her breathing! OMG! What does it take to do this? We were following the directions but couldn't get it done!
I grabbed a broom stick, laid her on her belly and tons my husband to pull her body. Wings started flapping, he said he felt the pop,.
I couldn't help to feel terrified that she was still alive, but she was gone.
I NEVER want to do this again! I can't stop crying. I know her suffering is done now, but my goodness, this was not a quick peaceful death that I was hoping for her.
I feel absolutely horrible! My poor sweet little girl. 😭😭😭😭
I don't know what I will do now if another emergency arises. I can't figure out what we did so wrong.
I'm sorry but I had to get this off my chest, all I can see is her little face, 😭View attachment 2242400
I am so sorry to hear this!!

Since we’re being blunt, 2 ways I do it are the farm way my mom taught me from when she was a young girl was to ring their neck, you have to get the separation and to do that you really need to get a good fast twist. The other way is to wrap them in a towel so just their head is out and their wings are all tucked in, sit on a chair or bucket and get their head pointed down
For a few minutes. Once they relax, have a nice sharp knife and cut their jugular. Keep their head pointed down. They remain very calm and quiet until the very end when their nerves start to jump, but that’s why you have them in a towel. They cant flap much and then they die quietly in your arms. I do my roosters this way so they aren’t full of adrenaline and they don’t damage themselves flapping around.

I'm sorry you had to experience this as well. When I knew one of my chickens was ill and would need to say goodbye I also read about it and watched videos. However, I knew I would not be able to do this humanely. I'm a city girl, and not raised on a farm where this is SOP. So, whenever I have to put a chicken down I suck it up and take her to my vet. Then, I bring her home and bury her here. That way I know they don't suffer.
I too have been both city and farm raised and have had to mercy-kill animals in the past. Now that I have a new life in the urban countryside with a great flock of 12 Ameracaunas (maybe?) it looks like half are roosters. I will not be doing my own kill unless it’s absolutely necessary (raccoon, etc.) so the vet is the way to go. It’s a very difficult thing to do to animals you’ve raised from newly born, and not worth the emotional drain.
Please know you gave her a good life and that it’s a brave thing to try but in the end you’ll be better to yourself to have your animals with a vet. My large animal vet would drive to our farm and many vets will if asked. I’m sorry for your loss and hope you keep enjoying your birds!❤️❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom