First Cull, Didn't go so well

It’s never pleasant, it’s always hard and sad. It does get easier with time and numbers though. I find babies and sick hens hardest. But experience has taught me to know when to make the call and end their suffering Otherwise you can let them go too long hoping for a miracle while they suffer. Definitely the axe is quickest and easiest to avoid misfires.

I am sorry you went through that. Maybe I am a little old fashioned but a swift chop off the head on the stump of a log is efficient. It is over instantly. I had to cull a hen that was too badly damaged by a raccoon. You work so hard to take care of your birds. I declared war on the raccoons. There are now 15 less raccoons that surround my chicken yard at night.

Please don't read this if it's too hard, I am going to be honest and it may be too graphic to some readers.
Tonight my husband and I had to make the decision to cull my sick hen. Opal was my favorite hen, raised from a chick, she was such a good girl, a sweetheart.
I have done research since owning hens, knowing some day there may be an emergency, and I wanted a little knowledge about culling methods sitting in my brain just incase.
I felt cervical dislocation, one of the more humaine choices for us.
Tonight, before the act, we watched videos, practiced on our arms, and read articles. We felt it would be fast.
It didn't work out that way 😭
Poor sweet Opal, My husband tried, he pulled as instructed but her head wouldn't dislocate! He tried a few more times, I think Opal went unconscious a few times, but she didn't die!
We were horrified but had to continue, we were too far into this. I tried, I couldn't feel the crack or dislocation like they said I would.
We laid her down, and thought she was dead, but I could see her breathing! OMG! What does it take to do this? We were following the directions but couldn't get it done!
I grabbed a broom stick, laid her on her belly and tons my husband to pull her body. Wings started flapping, he said he felt the pop,.
I couldn't help to feel terrified that she was still alive, but she was gone.
I NEVER want to do this again! I can't stop crying. I know her suffering is done now, but my goodness, this was not a quick peaceful death that I was hoping for her.
I feel absolutely horrible! My poor sweet little girl. 😭😭😭😭
I don't know what I will do now if another emergency arises. I can't figure out what we did so wrong.
I'm sorry but I had to get this off my chest, all I can see is her little face, 😭View attachment 2242400
Please don't read this if it's too hard, I am going to be honest and it may be too graphic to some readers.
Tonight my husband and I had to make the decision to cull my sick hen. Opal was my favorite hen, raised from a chick, she was such a good girl, a sweetheart.
I have done research since owning hens, knowing some day there may be an emergency, and I wanted a little knowledge about culling methods sitting in my brain just incase.
I felt cervical dislocation, one of the more humaine choices for us.
Tonight, before the act, we watched videos, practiced on our arms, and read articles. We felt it would be fast.
It didn't work out that way 😭
Poor sweet Opal, My husband tried, he pulled as instructed but her head wouldn't dislocate! He tried a few more times, I think Opal went unconscious a few times, but she didn't die!
We were horrified but had to continue, we were too far into this. I tried, I couldn't feel the crack or dislocation like they said I would.
We laid her down, and thought she was dead, but I could see her breathing! OMG! What does it take to do this? We were following the directions but couldn't get it done!
I grabbed a broom stick, laid her on her belly and tons my husband to pull her body. Wings started flapping, he said he felt the pop,.
I couldn't help to feel terrified that she was still alive, but she was gone.
I NEVER want to do this again! I can't stop crying. I know her suffering is done now, but my goodness, this was not a quick peaceful death that I was hoping for her.
I feel absolutely horrible! My poor sweet little girl. 😭😭😭😭
I don't know what I will do now if another emergency arises. I can't figure out what we did so wrong.
I'm sorry but I had to get this off my chest, all I can see is her little face, 😭View attachment 2242400
I guess that all of us who love our chickens face the same dilemma. What is the kindest way to euthanase when the time comes? An injection to cause a permanent sleep, of the kind used by vets would seem the easiest emotionally and kindest to the bird, but where would you get it and what dose?

we lost our 2 turkeys. The best way to start is to cover their eyes with a pillow case. Ours just layed their whole body down. It was calmer after that.
Soooo sorry, I do know how it is, and the feeling of losing a "friend"!

I am so sorry your first experience was so horrible :hugs

We’ve tried many methods and have finally stuck with the quick ax to the neck. There’s no doubt they are gone after that. They will flap their wings but it’s just nerves, they are no longer alive.

I agree. It is hard to do the first time. Although quick and painless to the bird, it pulls at our heart strings.

I’m so sorry for you. It’s always difficult and sometimes even with the best of intentions and planning things don’t go right. You did the best you could and you’ll adjust the plan for next time. A few people mentioned axes or a cleaver which is pretty certain and error proof as long as you keep your hands out of the way

I am so so sorry :hugs I’ve only ever euthanized once and I used starter fluid to put her to sleep, I kept my hand on her the whole time so she could feel me as she went to sleep. It was very peaceful for us both. I highly recommend the starter fluid method. There is an excellent article on here about it. The important thing to remember is that it was an accident, you were trying your very best. What counts is your heart, which was to give her a peaceful death, but unfortunately it didn’t go as planned. But that isn’t your fault, and I’m sure she knows. I hope that you can know that too, even if it takes time. I’ve made mistakes with my birds that I still don’t entirely forgive myself for, but I always remind myself that God looks at the heart, not the outward appearance. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom