First day I could convince them to get out of the coop :)

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
Here are my 9 1/2 week old Pekin ducks. They were hatched on Valentine's day (according to the feed store who got them as day old ducklings). They were so scared to come out of the coop so yesterday while all the other birds were out I took the time to chase them out. Once out they quickly found the baby pool I set up and learned to explore. I still don't see any tail curls, but I have noticed some physical difference. One is wider and more stout and the other is thin and tall. Also the fat one loves to get into the water while the tall one prefers to stand on the edge and drink.

Your ducks are so cute and much bigger than mine! My son got them for me for Easter and they were only a few days old then! I've been putting mine in the girls tractor for now. Once my aviary thaws out, they can play in their. I have a storage container in w/ them that slides under a bed for now. How are your girls with them. Do they stay in the coop w/ them?

They all get along very well, they ducks sleep on the ground and the chickens usually pile in around them. Our chickens and ducks have been together for over 7 weeks now so they're pretty used to them, though I have seen that the chickens have picked up a bad habit of getting in the water from the ducks. :)

Here are my 9 1/2 week old Pekin ducks. They were hatched on Valentine's day (according to the feed store who got them as day old ducklings). They were so scared to come out of the coop so yesterday while all the other birds were out I took the time to chase them out. Once out they quickly found the baby pool I set up and learned to explore. I still don't see any tail curls, but I have noticed some physical difference. One is wider and more stout and the other is thin and tall. Also the fat one loves to get into the water while the tall one prefers to stand on the edge and drink.

"the fat one"
lau.gif
I almost spit out my pepsi laughing when I read that! I have one that is bigger than the other three and I told DH I am going to start calling him The Fat One!!!

The whole 4-pack drank from their kiddie pool for days...it took them awhile to figure out the easy way to get in. Even now one of them still runs around like a maniac while the other three are in. It takes a few minutes for the straggler to realize that he too can get in the pool.

Yeah we didn't name them yet because I didn't know if they were boys or girls so we just call them the fat one and skinny one. Thankfully they won't get complexes because of it :)

Yeah we didn't name them yet because I didn't know if they were boys or girls so we just call them the fat one and skinny one. Thankfully they won't get complexes because of it :)
Agreed. One of ours is named 'Daphne' and I have been telling her she is a beautiful girl since I brought them all home March 1st.

Last week I realized Daphne is a boy.

Agreed. One of ours is named 'Daphne' and I have been telling her she is a beautiful girl since I brought them all home March 1st.

Last week I realized Daphne is a boy.
You have to put a pic up so we can have a look see! I'm at 6 week tomorrow and I've been thinking ones a boy cuz the tail has then curled since arnd 4 wks and is the 1st for everything. She is smaller and hangs back and acts just like their gender!
I've been looking at this since 4 wks. Sure looks like a male to the back hu?

You have to put a pic up so we can have a look see! I'm at 6 week tomorrow and I've been thinking ones a boy cuz the tail has then curled since arnd 4 wks and is the 1st for everything. She is smaller and hangs back and acts just like their gender!
I've been looking at this since 4 wks. Sure looks like a male to the back hu?
I'd say too young to tell yet looking at wing feathers, and here is what your looking for..
th

Back
Top Bottom