1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Day in the run! (WITH TWO QUESTIONS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Penske, May 25, 2008.

1. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Well, yesterday was the first day the girls went outside at 8 weeks old. Only a couple went in and out throughout the day...mostly they stayed OUT! They were BUSY the WHOLE time!!! They were out for 6 hours--I had to go out an coax them back into the coop at 8:15PM!!!!!!! One Buckeye didn't get it. She layed down on the ground next to the ramp and cried. I went out and picked her up and put her in.

Their poo this morning was DIRT and they didn't eat much overnight. I opened up the food troughs and shook them a bit and they all came running. I said, "you have to eat a good breakfast before going out again!" [​IMG]

Is that normal??? I sprinkle grit on their food--when should I just put it in a container?????

ALSO...the Buckeye was walking backwards for a little bit this morning--like maybe 3 times in 30 seconds. What's that???

Thanks for your help!!

Lisa

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I can say - yes it will be normal for them not to eat as much - cause they've been eating everything they have SEEN while outside... [​IMG]

As far as grit - I throw a handful out every now and then into my run - we have very sandy soil and I am pretty sure my girls get enough while digging around free-ranging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by