First day out and roo going nuts!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Aug 30, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I felt sorry for my buff orps stuck inside the garage coop on such a beautiful day. I can't let them roam the yard because of my neighbors and my dogs, so I put the big wire dog crate, without the tray, in the yard and put two BO pullets in there. As I was taking the pullets out, I thought the roo was going to get me! I have a thing about roosters anyway - they scare me - but to see him coming after me and then standing by the door EGADS! But the two ladies are outside and enjoying the sunshine! I really need a pen...

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    It does sound like you could use a small backyard coop.

By the way, have you read Rooster Red's advice about being assertive with roosters? Buff Orps are usually a really mild-tempered breed, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem learning to work through your fear of your rooster if you really want to go for it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thanks for reminding me about that! I have read it before but will look it up again. I definitely need to overcome this fear, which all started when DBF's rooster (Little Ralphie) cornered me in the coop! Then my banty roo spurred me and it's been downhill since then. My DD on the other hand is fearless and has no trouble picking any of them up and giving them the what-for. How I wish I was more like her!!

I think I'm going to try to talk DBF into helping me put up some type of fencing off the back of my garage and then make a little door so they can go in and out. I've been searching Craig's List for fencing but no go.

How high do you think it should be? They are 11 weeks old already and getting pretty big. Do I need to worry about them flying out? I want to put this next to my garden, which has a 3 foot fence around it with a gate. That way when my garden is done, I can open the gate and let them in there too.

Thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by