First day with first time chickens. One is not acting right

Robbiesflock

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
This is our first day with baby chicks. Noticed this morning one will not open its eyes and is acting strange. The other chicks keep pecking at it. How do we handle this? We separated it from the flock and have tried to get it to drink with a eye dropper. Do we just let nature take its course? Sorry for sounding uneducated but this is our first time!

I am interested in a reply to this. When I picked up my chicks the gal at the feed store asked me if I was willing to take 3 speckled sussex instead of the 1 that I ordered. She said that they only had 3 left and 1 wasn't looking to good so if I bought 2 she would give me the 3rd one. I said sure and sure enough the little one ended up lying in the brooder eyes closed and acting strange. I tried several times to get it to drink but with in a few hours of getting home the little guy had died. I keep wondering if I could have done anything different.

Check the temp in the brooder at chick height should be 90-95 for the first week, with a cooler spot to go to if too warm. Try giving sugar water with a dropper on side of beak.

I pick them up and if legs are cool or cold I readjust the heat lamp to warm them up.

**Craftymama - sometimes the stress of being in the bin at the stores is a lot for them to take. People picking them up or unsupervised kids. Can be fail to thrive, something internally wrong. Not eating, drinking in the time they are at the store, not knowing where the feed and water are or what it is. Not all employees dip beak in water or show each chick where feed is when they are put in the bins. May have even been cold for too long.**

Check the temp in the brooder at chick height should be 90-95 for the first week, with a cooler spot to go to if too warm. Try giving sugar water with a dropper on side of beak.

I pick them up and if legs are cool or cold I readjust the heat lamp to warm them up.

**Craftymama - sometimes the stress of being in the bin at the stores is a lot for them to take. People picking them up or unsupervised kids. Can be fail to thrive, something internally wrong. Not eating, drinking in the time they are at the store, not knowing where the feed and water are or what it is. Not all employees dip beak in water or show each chick where feed is when they are put in the bins. May have even been cold for too long.**
the chick that died was significantly smaller than the other ones as well...i'm not sure if that made much of a difference but it was something that made it different.

This is our first day with baby chicks. Noticed this morning one will not open its eyes and is acting strange. The other chicks keep pecking at it. How do we handle this? We separated it from the flock and have tried to get it to drink with a eye dropper. Do we just let nature take its course? Sorry for sounding uneducated but this is our first time!
any news on your sickly chick?

sad.png
bummer... sucky way to start out our chicken keeping lives

Back
Top Bottom