First death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmaldet, Jul 22, 2016.

1. dmaldet

dmaldet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    So I am in a panic. This is my first batch of chicks. I have had then not quite two months. I don't see anything other than it is dead. Do I need to do anything? I don't want to loose any more. I'm stressing. Ugh

2. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    firstly: isolated random deaths are an occasional part of keeping even the healthiest chickens... so dont panic...

second: if you could provide more details on the circumstances like how they are housed, how youre feeding, where you got them from, etc, etc...? its hard to know if theres anything to suggest that you do differently when we don't know what you are already doing or not doing--or anything else about the situation... :)

3. dmaldet

dmaldet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    Well hopefully we r doing things correctly. They are in a shed converted to our coop. It has four Windows which we keep open and in addition we cut two 12x12 vents on the gable ends for extra ventilation. It has been very hot and humid here around 90+ during the days. We free range during the day and they usually go in and out they the day and all head in for the evening just before dark.
    We are feeding them the purina medicated starter. They have a five gallon waterer inside and a waterer outside. I have been giving them leftover veggies late in the day for a treat.
    Other than that nothing else.

I've attached some pics. Let me know if something needs changed.
    Thanks!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by