First disaster with free ranging 4 month olds.....

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. We used to have predator fox and coyotes that would run in from the woods, grab a chicken and run away. All during the daytime. Actually some stray dogs would do that too. We bought 4 foot farm fence and put that up to enclose the free range area and have had no problems since. Of course the chickens are put in a totally enclosed run and coop area at night. A fence may be all you need . . .??
:hugs
Fences are great but my yard is fully enclosed. Mr. fox just dug underneath it :-(

Years ago I had 20 month-old chicks in our workroom, growing up nicely and separated from our adorable but troublesome basenji dog. My inlaws came over...and while I was in the other room, opened the door and in a matter of 5 minutes the dog had decimated the entire population. Another bad day!
oh my gosh, that must have been awful! I'm so sorry :-(

so sorry for your loss, if the chickens are that old I would look into your area and get a rooster or 2, for now I would lock your remaining hens up for a few days, they found food they will be back. also maybe adopt a Dog but for safety of flock you will want a male as they mark their territory well if it's a ground predator but you will need to do that when you are able to be home to watch how he does with the flock as he wasn't there already.

I am so sorry for your loss: it is horrible. I lost my first flock to predation. Two years on, my flock now includes roos, who watch out for threats much better than do the girls, and I concur with these pieces of advice
Your survivors are luckier, wiser, and have learned that it's a scary world out there. They will be more careful too.
Free ranging is always risky, and yet it's good for the birds to be able to be out there.

If you have a long term view of chicken keeping I've found here that each generation becomes more predator aware and learn to move from cover spot to cover spot.

Good cover in the end is the best predator defense.

so sorry for your loss, if the chickens are that old I would look into your area and get a rooster or 2, for now I would lock your remaining hens up for a few days, they found food they will be back. also maybe adopt a Dog but for safety of flock you will want a male as they mark their territory well if it's a ground predator but you will need to do that when you are able to be home to watch how he does with the flock as he wasn't there already.
hehehe I have 2 Pitbulls and a Chihuahua, I completely reinforced my fence and check it daily and I only let my girls out there when I am :)

I don't think it's a bad dog, it's lack of training for them for most part, there are thankfully more responsible pet owners than not but makes it bad when you have an irresponsible one around where livestock is kept.

very sorry about your losses. :hugsI have a large outside area, about 20x30 (about 10 ft high) for my 6 chickens, fenced in with wood, reinforced with chicken wire. we have coyotes and hawks, so we used poultry netting over the top to prevent any hawks from getting in or coyotes from climbing over. we have had hawks attempt to swoop down and grab a hen, but they are quickly confused by the netting and leave. I don't know, maybe I'm an overprotective chicken mama. :idunno

Extremely sorry for your loss. In my first year of keeping chickens we probably lost 20 baby chicks to raccoons and about 15 adults to various predators. I would suggest not letting them in the woods even in the day. Invest in a rooster or even a few guinea hens as they are fantastic at protecting the flock. I would stay out there with them for a bit if your able to try and get a sense of what's getting them so you know how it deal with it better. Do you have any ideas as to what's gotten your birds?

Extremely sorry for your loss. In my first year of keeping chickens we probably lost 20 baby chicks to raccoons and about 15 adults to various predators. I would suggest not letting them in the woods even in the day. Invest in a rooster or even a few guinea hens as they are fantastic at protecting the flock. I would stay out there with them for a bit if your able to try and get a sense of what's getting them so you know how it deal with it better. Do you have any ideas as to what's gotten your birds?
yes, roosters can be very helpful, as long as you don't mind the aggression.

Back
Top Bottom