First disaster with free ranging 4 month olds.....

Hi there. I’m sorry about your losses. I had a fox kill 12/12 in one coop late May and left them, sadly this was my favourite flock. 2 weeks earlier my dog died. May was not a good month. All the above are really good advice and just double check you have a good sturdy coop as last week we had the same damn fox dig into my coop, kill And take 4 from my other flock. Also make sure if you haven’t already to double wire or Use super sturdy mesh because foxes will rip wire off a coop. Electric fence works amazingly! I can speak from experience electric fence deters them really well.
Wishing you the very best with your chickens.

You can't do anything realistically about hawks if you free range.
While a rooster should give the hens some warning and may become the hawks target instead of a hen, he's not going to be fighting with a fox and winning.
An electric fence properly erected and maintained is the best option for ground predators.
If you have a long term view of chicken keeping I've found here that each generation becomes more predator aware and learn to move from cover spot to cover spot.
Good cover in the end is the best predator defense. If the predator can't see the chicken, or get at it if it does see it your losses will be less.
Makes good sense. The question I keep having is about fencing. Our electric fence works well, gives the chickens plenty of room to roam...but I hesitate to put it around the wood shed area or the thorn apple tree which would give them shelter and shade...because I imagine a predator could somehow access the shed /tree and drop inside the fence. Am I imagining things? Mink/weasels could do that and I know we have them...so now I'm imagining the worst. The coop is spacious and very safe. I like the idea of future generations and hope I can enjoy that!

Hi there. I’m sorry about your losses. I had a fox kill 12/12 in one coop late May and left them, sadly this was my favourite flock. 2 weeks earlier my dog died. May was not a good month. All the above are really good advice and just double check you have a good sturdy coop as last week we had the same damn fox dig into my coop, kill And take 4 from my other flock. Also make sure if you haven’t already to double wire or Use super sturdy mesh because foxes will rip wire off a coop. Electric fence works amazingly! I can speak from experience electric fence deters them really well.
Wishing you the very best with your chickens.
Thanks! One wonders why we do this......

Makes good sense. The question I keep having is about fencing. Our electric fence works well, gives the chickens plenty of room to roam...but I hesitate to put it around the wood shed area or the thorn apple tree which would give them shelter and shade...because I imagine a predator could somehow access the shed /tree and drop inside the fence. Am I imagining things? Mink/weasels could do that and I know we have them...so now I'm imagining the worst. The coop is spacious and very safe. I like the idea of future generations and hope I can enjoy that!
No you're not imagining things. The feral cats we have here and the weasels will take advantage of anything climbable that will help them get to a coop. You just have to take this into account when setting the fence out.

I saw folks run line across the run to prevent attacks from above.

I have some fencing pieces, well, a type of steel grid used for building, that I keep in an arch on the ground.
I reckon you can scatter a few of these about the range for them to run under when a hawk flies over.

If they miss the initial grab, I doubt they'll attempt to get under to continue their attack. The element of surprise will be gone and the chickens will gain the upper hand.

Sorce

I am sorry for your loss! I went thru this my first year of chicken keeping. I lost 18 over a year. They would disappear or I'd find feathers. I only free range while I'm at home. Even then I listen for my roosters to give the alarm call and I go check on them. It can be very frustrating because sometimes it's nothing at all and I drop everything to run and see what's wrong. I've had Hawks, dogs, feral cats, racoons, and an eagle that have bothered my flock. It's so devastating. If you want them out eating grass you need a covered run. One that's predator proof below and above. If you ever leave them alone out free then they are free game and you will continue to lose them.
Outstanding advice and I could not agree more! After substantial loss to foxes, I now only let my girls out with me while I play with my dogs from 7PM until they go to bed. Unless I plan on working in the yard that day, (which is a lot!) then they get to come too :) If you let your chickens free-range, they will be killed. period.

Thanks for your thoughts, I agree. I hope to have a rooster, but if not, I'll get one. We have a lot of land and trees...but I now see that that means nothing!

Outstanding advice and I could not agree more! After substantial loss to foxes, I now only let my girls out with me while I play with my dogs from 7PM until they go to bed. Unless I plan on working in the yard that day, (which is a lot!) then they get to come too :) If you let your chickens free-range, they will be killed. period.
I agree . Everything and everyone likes chicken they are not safe! I only have the 12 I currently have because I guard them like crazy and my day consists of constantly checking on them or keeeping them kept up.

Having a rooster alerts you but doesn't always save the flock. Especiallyyes

I agree . Everything and everyone likes chicken they are not safe! I only have the 12 I currently have because I guard them like crazy and my day consists of constantly checking on them or keeeping them kept up.
Completely agree with you, I've had a rooster or two taken out too :-(

lol right?! every noise I hear! and every time the dogs look in the bushes. lol

Back
Top Bottom