First Dose of Oyster Shell for Layers/Thyme in Water

zoomblur

In the Brooder
May 19, 2019
Hi,

My birds are now 17-18 weeks old so they've been on layer feed for a couple of weeks now. I just gave them their first free feed taste of oyster shell and they ate all of it, which is where the question comes in. I put about a cup to cup and a half in a feeding bowl near the water so they could figure out what it was and decide how much to eat. In a few days it was all gone. Is this a good thing, bad thing, normal thing? They are in a large enclosure due to predators in the area, so this is their only source.

Second question...I've heard that thyme in their water is a natural antibiotic. True? If so how much, and fresh vs dried? I have a bounty of fresh thyme available in my garden, and I already mix a little apple cider vinegar.

Thanks!

Oyster shell: let them have as much as they want. I've never heard of chickens over-eating oyster shell.

Thyme in the water: never heard of it, but maybe someone else knows.

Personally, I would give them completely plain water, and offer fresh thyme for them to eat if they want to. (I don't think you should give an antibiotic unless there is specific need, but I also do not think thyme would be a very effective antibiotic. So my advice is based on it just being a plant that chickens might like to eat.)

I've never thought of or tried thyme in water only a little in the food. I used cider vinegar in one of their waters inside the coop so they get to drink this first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
Interested to have the answer to this question :)

Oregano is used in the water for coccidosis & other things. Many industry chicken producers use it. I have used it when I fed a batch of chicks nonmedicated feed. I have only used prepared oregano products like Ropa. Don't know anything about just oregano or oregano oil. The prepared ones for livestock are an emulsion that mixed easily with water.

Oregano is used in the water for coccidosis & other things. Many industry chicken producers use it. I have used it when I fed a batch of chicks nonmedicated feed. I have only used prepared oregano products like Ropa. Don't know anything about just oregano or oregano oil. The prepared ones for livestock are an emulsion that mixed easily with water.
Fascinating, that's something else I've learned from here. :)

Thanks for the advice! So it was oregano in the water. I already give them the herbs fresh from the garden, along with long grass and other clippings from the yard. I was following advice on the apple cider vinegar to encourage drinking and to keep mosquito population down. They seem to hatch in just a few days and when I open the 5 gallon jug they swarm me.

On the oyster shell, I should keep the bowl stocked at all times?

Offer oyster shell in a separate dish, they will eat it as needed. Your birds may have just gone for a novelty item, and not eat as much of it in the future.
Plain water is best! Adding other ingredients is not helpful! If they want to nibble on some herbs while out free ranging, fine, but nothing added to water is best.
Keep it simple!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom