First drake feather!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lmpeebles, Mar 12, 2015.

1. lmpeebles

lmpeebles Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Just noticed that my (long suspected) drake, Toupee, has gotten his drake feather! He's 16 weeks old but it may have been a couple of weeks earlier. Not at all a surprise as he is quiet as a mouse but the grumpy ladies quack all day long.

But for some reason I am feeling very proud and excited about my first chickens and ducks! [​IMG] The drake feather prompted me to have a walk down memory lane through my photos for the last 16 weeks - I can't believe I've kept them alive this long!

Seriously though, what is the point of the drake feather except that it's kinda cute and funny?

Also feeling pretty lucky as my straight run of 3 ducks has resulted in 1 drake and 2 girls. Whew! Don't know if I'm ready yet to send one to the stew pot!

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    It's a cute little curl, i find most amusing on my wee calls lol

Good ratio! i lucked out with my Pekin and got 1 drake, 5 ducks.. yes, i know! trust me i mainly get drakes when i raise my own so this was a rare thing around here.

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    "Toupee", what an adorable name, ha! I love the drake feather Wobbles has, he's such a tiny bird, sometimes I like to straighten it and watch it curl back up while making a "poink!" sound. Because I'm kind of an idiot sometimes.

As for its purpose, I have no idea. It's not like the mallards most domestic breeds originate from need it so differentiate themselves from the females, their coloration already does that. Maybe it's a health thing? The bigger and curlier the drake feather, the stronger the bird? You'd think their colors would be a good indicator for that, too...maybe testosterone just has a weird effect on one or two follicles on their butts. I dunno.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by