First Duck Egg!!!!

duckking

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Cascade Foothills, WA
Sorry for yelling, but after whining on another post this AM that my ducks weren't laying, I went out to give them treats and there was a green duck egg!!!!
wee.gif

Question - The egg was not in a nest, just sitting on the straw in front of the duck house, like ooops.....where'd that come from? Must have dropped something. We don't don't want to hatch any at this point, but I would rather they be laying their eggs away from stomping duck and chicken feet. If I put it in the doghouse which is where "I" would like them to lay, would they get the message.....if I put it near the entrance in the straw so they could see it? Or am I attributing waaaaaaay too much to an understanding of duck thoughts...

Thanks!

Most of my runners will lay in a nest, most of the time.

But regularly, someone lays elsewhere. And they do sometimes seem almost surprised that one popped out!

I know people leave golf balls in nesting boxes for chickens to show them where to lay. It'd be worth a try doing that or leaving the found egg where you'd like them to end up. They have really nice big wooden eggs at Kmart in the toy section too. Look almost the size of a duck egg.

Oh and YAY! YOU GOT AN EGG!
ya.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif
celebrate.gif

I only have a few ducks that lay in nests. The rest just mosey along and it falls wherever LOL! Right out in the middle of yard most of the time...Goofy ducks
lol.png

Thanks all. We got another this AM and it was right in the middle of the duck house. Again no attempt at a nest or anything and they don't seem to care if we take it. Victor the drake wandered over when my son took it, but he said there was no reaction. I thought they got protective....well the hens at least. Anyway, not sure who's laying it...but it's great! Dorky ducks.

Back
Top Bottom