First duck hatching: Pipping wrong end?

zachwinkler

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 5, 2011
Hello, this is my first time hatching eggs. I am on day 25 hatching 6 Pekin/Cayuga eggs. I just checked on the eggs and I saw an external pip on one of them and it is on the opposite end as the air sack (not inside the air sack). The egg is the smallest out of all of them and the air sack takes up between 1/3 and 1/2 of the egg. Is the duck going to be okay? Here is a picture:

IMG_3410.jpg

Hopefully it will be fine I've had a few hatch out like that. You should see it zipping in the next 24 hours good luck with the wait its agonising but well worth it
jumpy.gif

Still hasn't come out yet. This is my first hatch so I'm not exactly sure how long it should take him. Here is an updated picture: Any thoughts? (This is what it looks like about 17 hours after the initial external pip from the wrong end)

Also, 3 of the other eggs have just externally pipped!

IMG_3413.jpg

Last edited:
I've got my first hatch happening too. So far only one out and it had pipped at the wrong end, just like yours. It took about 36 hours from making a hole like the one in your pic to actually hatching. Yours has made it through the shell., so it has air, which is good. When a duckling pips at the wrong end it's the equivalent of a duckling pipping internally at the correct end. But it goes through the shell rather than the membrane. Just as an internally pipped duckling is not ready to come out, neither is your duckling. So don't worry or interfere. Give it time to rest, absorb the blood and yolk and gather strength for it's next assault on the shell. Chances are it will make it out itself just fine.

Good news about the others that have pipped!!! The waiting is agonising, isn't it!!
smile.png

Okay, so it's been a couple days and it doesn't look like any progress has been made by the duck hatching out of the wrong end. He still has the little hole and it looks to be the same size. I can barely see through it and I can see a small amount of movement. When should I start getting worried?

Also, I can see 2 of the ducks bills poking out of their eggs!

Quote:
I have never hatched from a bator so I cannot say, but I would be concerned about the one pipped at the wrong end. I would maybe PM duckfromz she hatches alot and maybe she can give you some info.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom