1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First duckling hatched today!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by petitesphinx, May 14, 2009.

1. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    We had our first baby duck hatch today and three more have little holes in their eggs!

She's so sweet!! A little Runner Duck...

Questions, though! I only have medicated chick starter, do I feed the duckling that? I put a teeny bit of water in a babyfood jar lid becuase I've had chicks drown in anything larger than that. Should I give a larger waterer?

I took her outdoors for a few minutes to let her nibble grass, but she wasn't interested...

[​IMG]

2. bnward5

bnward5 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Trinidad Co
    oh how cute a little blue runner. medicated chick feed will eventually kill her no good, as I just found out yesterday.

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    It's best to get a non-medicated food for ducklings, i use a turkey starter for mine.
    Also they need to dip their bills all the way into the water to eat so use a bigger pan of water for them. They cannot eat without water to dip their bills all the way in.

cute Duckling! [​IMG]

Nancy

4. petitesphinx

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    thanks! [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Your best bet is to use purina flock raiser if not available then mix unmedicated chick starter and turkey/wild game bird starter in equal amounts.

Chick starter does not have enough niacin in it for ducks and the turkey starter has too high protein so mixing the two is what was recommended to me by holderread waterfowl farm

Also remember that like chicks they do not need to eat or drink the first 2 or 3 days, they absorb the yolk right before hatching like chicks. So she probably will not show any interest until then.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    So cute!

7. petitesphinx

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Another duckling was born/hatched this morning! A blonde one!!! I put it in the box with the first one under a heat lamp-it was kinda damp...

It looks like the big brother is pecking it...or dooodling it's hair..I can't tell.

Will they be safe in the same brooder or will they peck eachother like chicks do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by