First Egg and now 100 new questions

Sue E.

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2017
Central Texas
Okay, not 100, but a few.

One of my adopted chickens has laid her first (probably) egg and now I find I have new questions.

Will she continue to sit on this egg? How long?

Will she continue to lay in the same location? (She's under a bush in my front yard.) And if I take this egg from her, will she lay in that location again or move somewhere else?

If I take the egg and the hen and relocate both to a more suitable location, will she stay there?

I've been checking out the Forums and Articles but haven't found answers to these particular questions. Thanks for your help.

Oh, another question? How often will she lay an egg (average)?

IMG_4546.jpg

Will she continue to sit on this egg? How long?

No, not likely. Only brooding hens will sit on an egg to brood it. Usually they wait until they have a clutch (about 6 to 12, depending on the hen, the size of the clutch actually presses on a nerve in the breast to release hormones).

Only hens who are genetically disposed to brooding will brood. Most commercial layers have been selected against brooding (as brooding isn't laying).

ETA: Most large fowl breeds tend to brood only in spring and summer. Frequent brooding breeds (Silkies, games, bantam Cochins) will breed pretty much year round. Silkies have been known to lay one egg then sit...but Silkies LOVE to brood in general.

Will she continue to lay in the same location? (She's under a bush in my front yard.)
Very likely, yes, she will continue to lay in the same location. You need to block that location until she learns to lay where you want her to.

And if I take this egg from her, will she lay in that location again or move somewhere else?

Only if you train her to lay somewhere else will she lay where you want her to. Generally, the best thing is to place "fake" eggs in your nest box to encourage her to nest there. Sometimes you need to lock the hen in the coop area for a few days for her to get the idea.

If I take the egg and the hen and relocate both to a more suitable location, will she stay there?
You can take that egg as your "fake" egg and move it to another location. Moving hen may or may not help as generally they are so upset at being physically touched and moved, unless she is used to being handled.

Bottomline....create a nice nest area in your coop, about 12 inches by 12 inches (about shoe box size), that has nice soft nesting material (pine shavings, soft hay, etc.), that is somewhat secluded from the main tromp of the coop. Place "fake" eggs in the box (sacrificial eggs, golf balls, ping pong balls, ceramic eggs, etc.). If need be, confine the hen to that general area until she gets the idea.

Most hens catch on pretty quickly.

Good luck, and congratulations on your first egg :D

LofMc

Has she been setting on that nest day and night?
Do you want her to hatch out more chicks?
Looks like several different birds have been laying there.
Do you want them to lay in the coop nest?

I want my birds laying eggs in their nest boxes in the coop, not in mystery locations outside! You will need to lock everyone in their coop and run, at least until very late afternoon, for a week or three, until the girls decide to use their boxes.
Is anyone laying in the nests you offer? Maybe the boxes aren't set up the way they would prefer. Pictures?
Mary

Thelma hasn't been spending a lot of time on that nest. I've collected all but two of the eggs. I don't have a problem with her laying in that location. I can't coop her since she isn't officially my bird. It is possible that two birds have been using that nest, but I've seen no evidence of that. No idea how long those eggs were there. There are no males around so there won't be any chicks.

Long story behind me and these birds. Please read my introduction here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/me.1210196/

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom