FIRST EGG AND TISSUE EXPELLED! PLEASE HELP!😬

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
Hello chicken friends! This is a friend of mine‘s 7 month old silkie pullet. She was having trouble laying her first egg. They also just moved which may have contributed to the problem. This is her very first egg and she was able to expel it after some trouble and a few sitz baths with Epson salts but now there is this tissue still attached. I’m afraid that she may have torn part of her vent? My friend is bringing the chicken over for me to watch her while she is at work today and wondering what to do next? She’s had several Epson salt soaks. At this point I think the egg should be broken so the tissue can be examined better? The egg is fully outside her body just held on with this tissue. We have no chicken vets in the area. Any advice is appreciated! This is a very beloved pet.❤️ This happened last night and photos are from this morning when she went to give her another bath.
There have been no changes since last night. The chicken herself seems to be undisturbed by all this.
Update, My friend just texted me and the egg just slipped out but what about all of this loose tissue?🤔
BAD289DB-E0B2-4420-AD1C-13675D007D8F.jpeg
1A6CF56E-5E46-4141-B644-DAA7210F00FD.jpeg
2F370984-E57D-44ED-BEDD-22FA1CA45579.jpeg

I am not an expert but it may be a prolapsed vent with egg binding. I would give her a human calcium tablet or Tums orally to help her muscle tone to lay the egg. Get her into a warm sink or pan of water to soak for 20 minutes. You will need to try and find the opening of the vent and try to get the egg out. Sometimes or rarely, these prolapses can be pushed back inside, and the egg may then come out normally. I will also tag @azygous for assistance. Here is a video of a hen with a prolapsed vent and egg binding:

I am not an expert but it may be a prolapsed vent with egg binding. I would give her a human calcium tablet or Tums orally to help her muscle tone to lay the egg. Get her into a warm sink or pan of water to soak for 20 minutes. You will need to try and find the opening of the vent and try to get the egg out. Sometimes or rarely, these prolapses can be pushed back inside, and the egg may then come out normally. I will also tag @azygous for assistance. Here is a video of a hen with a prolapsed vent and egg binding:

Thanks! The egg has come out now, but what to do about the prolapsed tissue? Looks like it may be torn. I will get a better look at when she brings her over in about an hour.
I did recommend the Tums last night, not sure if she has given it to her yet.

Are the pictures above still containing the egg, or not including the egg? There is not a lot she can do for the tissue if it has split, other than trying to keep it clean with soaking and applying Vetericyn and plain Neosporin ointment often. It might heal if the prolapse is pushed back inside, but hard to know. A vet may be helpful if that is available although expensive.

Yes the egg has come out. Just has this loose tissue. I did recommend the neosporin and the calcium. We have no vets in the area that deal with chickens. We have wild chickens here and apparently nobody bothers to specialize in chickens on this island! I am though a human doctor and have some suturing skills. Depending on how it looks with that help at all or just cause more harm?🤔 i’ll get some photos when she gets here.Photos above are when the egg was still attached

The chicken is here now, we cleaned her off and managed to push the prolapse back into place. There’s an obvious tear. Photos attached. Every time she moves or exerts herself though it prolapses again. Any ideas?
2E1F3D49-239D-4868-947D-B88858CCB708.jpeg
F7F927A3-C9BD-4AA4-8C76-84A6EE803BB8.jpeg

Last edited:
Many vets probably would recommend putting her down with a lacerated or split open cloaca. Chickens sometimes recover from the worst possible wounds though. Any straining to poop or lay an egg, or struggling, could cause the prolapse to come out. Normally, you would keep putting it back inside each time you see it out. To stop laying, you can place a chicken in the dark for 16 hours daily, letting them out in daylight for 8 hours daily to eat/drink and walk around. Let us know how the hen gets along. Here is a picture of the oviduct and large intestine in the cloaca:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1X1UOnJV1...5IdA/s1600/Chicken+Reproductive+Organs+2a.jpg

Last edited:
Many vets probably would recommend putting her down with a lacerated or split open cloaca. Chickens sometimes recover from the worst possible wounds though. Any straining to poop or lay an egg, or struggling, could cause the prolapse to come out. Normally, you would keep putting it back inside each time you see it out. To stop laying, you can place a chicken in the dark for 16 hours daily, letting them out in daylight for 8 hours daily to eat/drink and walk around. Let us know how the hen gets along. Here is a picture of the oviduct and large intestine in the cloaca:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1X1UOnJV1...5IdA/s1600/Chicken+Reproductive+Organs+2a.jpg
Thank you! Sounds like this vet knew how to deal with it. I’ll update when I hear back from my friend.😊

UPDATE 😊
The little pullet is doing well. I didn’t see the vet personally but heard he was really good and apparently knew about chickens. She’s getting some pain medication by mouth and some anti-inflammatory type meds in her cloaca. My friend brought her by again today for me to help her with the meds and also will keep an eye on her again today. Keeping the bird covered up so she thinks it’s night time. Plan is if she doesn’t improve in the next 48 hours or so then they will put in a suture to hold things in place.😊

Back
Top Bottom