First egg! + Broodiness

AnonPaperclip

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2017
So, we got our first egg from the flock!
20170816_153647.jpg
And I'm pretty sure its from a Fav, though neither of ours have started squatting yet. The only two that have squatted are our Leghorn, Thundermuffin (weird name, I know), and our smallest Welsummer, Canterbury.

But thats not my question. Now that they're all about to start laying, they may become broody. Out of the three breeds we have, which one is more likely to get broody? We have 2 Faverolles, 1 Leghorn, and 3 Welsummers.

I don't think they will go broody. Just remove the eggs everyday and do not leave them overnight. Yours are not broody breeds, such as silkies. You should be fine, and if one does turn broody, you could purchase some fertile eggs and expand you flock. Hatching is a wonderful experience!

We have 2 Welsummers one (wellsley) hasn't started to lay yet but she is broody. Once the others wels has laid her egg she goes in and sits on it for at least an hour 2-3 times during the day.

I don't think they will go broody. Just remove the eggs everyday and do not leave them overnight. Yours are not broody breeds, such as silkies. You should be fine, and if one does turn broody, you could purchase some fertile eggs and expand you flock. Hatching is a wonderful experience!

Part of me was actually hoping they'd get broody so we could do that. It's so adorable to watch a hen raise a chick!

We have 2 Welsummers one (wellsley) hasn't started to lay yet but she is broody. Once the others wels has laid her egg she goes in and sits on it for at least an hour 2-3 times during the day.

That's not broody behavior. She's getting close to laying and is figuring things out. If she were broody she would stay all day except for a few minutes to eat, poop and take a quick dust bath. She would also puff up and squawk at you if you get close.

I wouldn't worry too much about pullets (less than 1 year olds) going broody.

That's not broody behavior. She's getting close to laying and is figuring things out. If she were broody she would stay all day except for a few minutes to eat, poop and take a quick dust bath. She would also puff up and squawk at you if you get close.

Exactly!..and they would stay on nest all night.
Many birds may 'lounge' in the nest thru the day, especially when first laying.

On the subject of broodiness, I have a pullet that has only been laying a few weeks that the last week or so would stay on her egg a few hours and even scoot another egg under her for a bit before getting up. The last 3 days she has sat in her "spot" on the floor most of the day not even coming out for afternoon snack. But when she gets up there is no egg. She still roosts at night with the rest but spends most of the day in that 1 spot. She's a buff Orpington. Only 7 months. Is she being broody? What do I do? Thanks

Again, not broody behavior. Something else must be going on. You'll need to make some observations:

Is she behaving like she's injured or sick? Lethargic movements, puffed up, tail down, limping or hanging wings like they're heavy.

Is she being bullied by flock mates?

How confined is your flock? Do they free range or are penned up all the time? Could she just be bored?

On the subject of broodiness, I have a pullet that has only been laying a few weeks that the last week or so would stay on her egg a few hours and even scoot another egg under her for a bit before getting up. The last 3 days she has sat in her "spot" on the floor most of the day not even coming out for afternoon snack. But when she gets up there is no egg. She still roosts at night with the rest but spends most of the day in that 1 spot. She's a buff Orpington. Only 7 months. Is she being broody? What do I do? Thanks
Beginning stages of broodiness, but not full-blown yet. Some hens will toy with the idea of going broody, but the hormones never kick in enough for them to fully brood. Some will only sit for a week or two, go back to laying, only to start the partial brooding cycle over again. It's rare for pullets under a year to go fully broody, but it's very common for pullets of broody-prone breeds to go partially broody in their first season of laying.

Back
Top Bottom