First Egg Countdown

This thread is great! I've got 21 girls, all different kinds and ages. My oldest are Welsummers, light brahmas, EEs, and Cinnamon Queens at 13 weeks. I'm hoping for my first eggs ever in early August! I've also got 2 RIR pullets and 2 cochin bantams at about 11 weeks. A while back someone posted about their pullet's comb being half black, half red. My black cochin has one like that too. I just thought it was because there's a possibility she's part silkie, since the breeder raises them as well, but I don't know with a bigger bird like a Black sex link. Here's my girl, Hopalong. I wasn't gonna get her, I had already picked out my chicks when she flew as hard as she could out of the brooder and into my hands as we were closing the lid! Well, of course I had to get her after that :) and since then she has proven to be sweet and sooo pretty with her glossy black feathers! Here she is, just took the pic yesterday.

And another that shows her green/purple hues :D

Can't wait for my first eggs! Will definitely post.

aw, this thread has the best people evers ^_^
hugs.gif

Btw, my second Faverolle is finally getting with the program almost 26 weeks in! Finally her face is getting red and she's being loud in the mornings. Sheesh I thought she was broken or something!
Yes!
hugs.gif
hugs to all,

Some of the Heritage breed take such a long time...
smack.gif

My 21 week old Partridge Rock was having very nice talk with me this morning.

I will try to get a good picture of her when I get home.

Ron

Yes!
hugs.gif
hugs to all,

Some of the Heritage breed take such a long time...
smack.gif

My 21 week old Partridge Rock was having very nice talk with me this morning.

I will try to get a good picture of her when I get home.

Ron

How exciting Ron and Pele! My 20 week old barred rock is taking her time too. The red sex links are still going strong and I even got a double yolker! Only one of my two girls has skipped a day, and it was the day after her first egg.

Congrats to those with first eggs! Can't wait to see who's girl lays next!
fl.gif

Woo Hoo! :woot

Orpingtons and other Heritage Breeds will often be hit and miss at first. Hybrids can too, but are more likely to lay the first egg and not take a day off until molt(not always a good thing--it's a lot of work for hens to lay eggs).  The first egg may have been the only egg in the laying cycle. It takes around 5 days for the egg to get through the cycle. So, the next egg will come out when it reaches maturity. If she ovulated three days in a row, the next cycle will have three days of eggs. You will probably get another egg today and tomorrow. You may even get a shell less egg.

Ron

Well Ron you called it! I had an egg Wednesday and another one today! Here's my newest question though... The first and third were different shades of brown (of course they're all beautiful!)... Would that be the same chicken figuring out her cycle like you'd mentioned? Or could it be from 2 different chickens? What's the likelihood that they started laying within 48 hrs of each other?

Is like xmas in June around here - and it's so much fun to share all of this with others in the same boat :)

I got my first egg on Wednesday and nothing since.
sad.png
Is that normal for black sex links or layers in general? All four are 17 1/2 weeks. Of course, it's also been 100 degrees the past two days so maybe that is part of the reason?

Right now I'm a bit bitter because I feel like I've got a bunch of free loaders that have managed to damage every plant on the property that doesn't have a fence around it while eating top of the line organic feed and I'm all out of store bought eggs in preparation for an abundance for free-range eggs! lol Yesterday, one flew up against the house window trying to get inside and when that didn't work, they all conspired to poo on my patio. Repeatedly, even though I have about 3 acres of mowed yard with trees, etc. for them to hang out in. Those had better be some delicious eggs, or better yet....GOLDEN!! lol

I got my first egg on Wednesday and nothing since.
sad.png
Is that normal for black sex links or layers in general? All four are 17 1/2 weeks. Of course, it's also been 100 degrees the past two days so maybe that is part of the reason?

Right now I'm a bit bitter because I feel like I've got a bunch of free loaders that have managed to damage every plant on the property that doesn't have a fence around it while eating top of the line organic feed and I'm all out of store bought eggs in preparation for an abundance for free-range eggs! lol Yesterday, one flew up against the house window trying to get inside and when that didn't work, they all conspired to poo on my patio. Repeatedly, even though I have about 3 acres of mowed yard with trees, etc. for them to hang out in. Those had better be some delicious eggs, or better yet....GOLDEN!! lol

Yes it is normal

See my quote in the post above yours, two up from here.

celebrate.gif
Your will have more soon.

Ron

Last edited:
Quote:
The first eggs are often lighter. My Marans first egg was light. Now they are closer to a 5 out of 8 on the darkness scale for eggs.

They could both be laying. You will know for sure when you get two in one day. Getting the eggs is very exciting.

hide.gif
the neighbors must think I am crazy when they hear me telling them "good job" and "thank you!"

Have fun!

Ron

So tonight we leave for hawaii for a week. I am just sure most of the rest of my chickens are going to start laying while I am gone :( But.... At least I will be distracted while away so as to not be checking the boxes 10 times a day... HAHAHA... My neighbor is going to check on the chickens and get any eggs while away.. Now if only we could get the dog to lay eggs, we could get free dog care too haha.. On another note... my thelma that started laying last week only skipped the second day.. there is an egg every day by 7 am so far.. Such a good little laying pullet. :)

I'm waiting for a first egg from one of my pullets too! I've been through several of the egg waits (one where my White Leghorn made me wait 'till 32 weeks
roll.png
), but it's even harder this time since she's a wheaten maran!

She's 24 weeks today! However I think I'll still have to wait 2-3 months before her first egg because she's so tiny and 'immature'. I think she may be a runt. She's perfectly healthy though, and sweet as can be. Does anybody else here have marans? When have they layed?

A old picture of my sweet girl 'Nutella'. See how tiny her comb is? It's getting bigger and pinker though, but only slightly.

Back
Top Bottom