First Egg Countdown

Yay Lil' Phil! My second egg layer.

Phillie's egg compared to Onyxia's first egg that was laid last week (Phil's on left)

and compared to Onyxia's 7th egg laid today (Phil's on left)

Ony's first one had a lot of white speckling that has since been lost, I'm assuming Phil's will lose that white speckling too but I may be able to tell them apart as it looks like Phils will be a lighter pinker brown than Ony's. We'll see in a week or so.

LOL put the speckled egg back in the nest box with the pullet that laid it. Press down on her beak and hold for 4 seconds. This will start the egg color inkjet alignment process. Give her lots of love and wait for the next egg to cycle through.

wee.gif

Hey everyone! I'm new to BYC.com but only sort of new to keeping BYC. I thought I'd join in the fun of the first-egg-waiting-game. I have a little flock of 2 hens, a RIR (Olivia- Livi for short) and an EE (Rosie). I bought them on June 6 from a LPS and wasn't sure of their exact age then, but I guesstimated them to be about 1-2 weeks. Soo...if I did my math right they should be about 19-20 weeks now. Livi's comb is getting redder and bigger each day. Hopefully I'll have an egg soon!

Here they are the day I brought them home. This was also the day my DH gave them their first names, "Noodle" and "Soup"
roll.png
. Needless to say he wasn't too excited about having them but now he's more anxious for eggs than I am lol.

Hey everyone! I'm new to BYC.com but only sort of new to keeping BYC. I thought I'd join in the fun of the first-egg-waiting-game. I have a little flock of 2 hens, a RIR (Olivia- Livi for short) and an EE (Rosie). I bought them on June 6 from a LPS and wasn't sure of their exact age then, but I guesstimated them to be about 1-2 weeks. Soo...if I did my math right they should be about 19-20 weeks now. Livi's comb is getting redder and bigger each day. Hopefully I'll have an egg soon!

Here they are the day I brought them home. This was also the day my DH gave them their first names, "Noodle" and "Soup"
roll.png
. Needless to say he wasn't too excited about having them but now he's more anxious for eggs than I am lol.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

My four girls are almost 24 weeks old. The SLW and Barred Rock have looked ready to go for at least three weeks, now, but haven't squatted yet. My EEs are no where near as red as the other two, but they have both started squatting in the last few days.

Pretty sure my other EE just laid her first egg this morning. It was smaller and darker green than the eggs I've been getting from B2 the last week. However I just finished the Coop and the B2 wouldn't lay yesterday while inside the new digs. Is it possible since age was being stubborn that she got backed up and just popped two quick eggs out cuz she tried skipping a day in protest? Can a chicken lay more than one egg in a 10 hour period of time?

Pretty sure my other EE just laid her first egg this morning. It was smaller and darker green than the eggs I've been getting from B2 the last week. However I just finished the Coop and the B2 wouldn't lay yesterday while inside the new digs. Is it possible since age was being stubborn that she got backed up and just popped two quick eggs out cuz she tried skipping a day in protest? Can a chicken lay more than one egg in a 10 hour period of time?
I've read it is possible especially when they're just figuring out the egg laying stuff. I read this thread recently https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/285795/can-a-chicken-lay-more-than-one-egg-a-day/10 people talk of hens holding eggs then laying 2.

So excited! I had just posted this morning that my girls weren't laying yet, and when I went out to check just a little bit ago, there was a single, perfect little blue-green egg under their roost! I'm not sure which one of the two Easter Eggers laid it, but I'm pretty sure they will both be laying within a week or so.
celebrate.gif

Compared to a store-bought large egg.

So excited! I had just posted this morning that my girls weren't laying yet, and when I went out to check just a little bit ago, there was a single, perfect little blue-green egg under their roost! I'm not sure which one of the two Easter Eggers laid it, but I'm pretty sure they will both be laying within a week or so.
celebrate.gif

Compared to a store-bought large egg.
Congrats!

This is Big Girl, our full sized Brahma. She is almost 26 weeks old. I am pretty sure she's not even close to laying. Anyone got any guesses as to how long it will be for her? Our two other Brahmas are banties, and I think they're both close but haven't laid yet.

I think the other girls in the flock are all laying. However, none of them would admit who laid her egg in the wrong place!

Back
Top Bottom