First Egg Countdown

Pics
Well I thought it was my 19 week old BO or my GLW... but I found out it was my Black Sexlink!!! What a great girl Faith is! She is also 19 weeks. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for being so excited about the eggs... it's just an egg! I just think of how much work, time, and love I've put into my baby girls, and seeing my efforts pay off is so rewarding!

Faith
80727_p7152709.jpg

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi,

Red looks like a Production Red--the black in the tail instead of the white. I bought one of those as a started pullet at 19 weeks old. The comb and wattles were much bigger at that age.

Yang, Production Red, is the one on the right at about 19 to 20 weeks
84712_big_chickens_2_opt.jpg

If I were to guess, I would say your chicken is not 20 to 23 weeks old. The comb and wattles are not developed enough. Probably closer to 15 weeks, so add 3 weeks or so to the first egg clock.

Patience is so hard, but hang in there. My Australorps are 21 weeks old and are showing the signs but no eggs yet!

Ron

Quote:
Yipee! Congratulations!!
woot.gif

And I know just how you feel!! It's VERY exciting and if others don't see a reason for excitement I feel sorry for their loss!
tongue2.gif

Quote from Shirley Temple "Well, can you lay an egg?"
lol.png

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi,

Red looks like a Production Red--the black in the tail instead of the white. I bought one of those as a started pullet at 19 weeks old. The comb and wattles were much bigger at that age.

Yang, Production Red, is the one on the right at about 19 to 20 weeks
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/84712_big_chickens_2_opt.jpg

If I were to guess, I would say your chicken is not 20 to 23 weeks old. The comb and wattles are not developed enough. Probably closer to 15 weeks, so add 3 weeks or so to the first egg clock.

Patience is so hard, but hang in there. My Australorps are 21 weeks old and are showing the signs but no eggs yet!

Ron

Well shoot! I guess I will quit giving her the stink eye:) Thanks for the help.

Quote:
They were both almost 20 weeks when they laid the first egg. And I have good news: Princess, my RIR, laid a real little brown egg today, with a hard shell and it was in the nest. I think she was happy she finally got it right. My next two chicks are 16 weeks, and while Roxy, my barred rock, already has a red comb and looks very mature, Dottie, my speckled sussex, looks very young with a pale comb.

Yay ChicksterJo!!!!
wee.gif
What a pretty egg. It's nice to hear that someone else's Red SLs are quiet layers too. I thought mine were broken! I've never heard an eggsong from them.

Stargazer2014, you can place the nesting boxes out when your girls start showing signs of egglaying. Pacing around the coop, being incredibly loud for no reason, squatting, etc. are all signs. If you put them out too early, your girls might start using them for sleeping. Good luck!

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone's first egg!!

I got another one today...at about 9:00 a.m. I found it in the nest box. I think it is my other Red Star, "Scratch," since the other Red Star laid around noon yesterday (she also laid another one at around 10:00 a.m. today and I got to watch!! She didn't even sing an egg song; she looked surprised). Anyway, here's Scratch's egg; she is around 21 weeks old. Maybe she was jealous that "Runt Red" laid an egg yesterday!

80295_dsc01867.jpg

A question for all you first egg people...I know to look out for big, red combs and wattles. I'm not there yet (13 weeks) but my girls are getting red ears, especially the BRs. Is that just the heat, or is it also a precursor.

I. Cannot. WAIT.

Back
Top Bottom