First Egg Countdown!!

I got my first egg on July 2nd .. My girls were 17-18 weeks .. From then on that layer has gotten regular and 3 more have started and regulated ! Yay!! Now I have 4/14 girls laying this past week was the FIRST time I have ever not had to buy eggs - because I had a full dozen of farm fresh eggs in my frig!!! Eeeeeek I'm lovin this! 10 more to get goin!!

I got my first egg on July 2nd .. My girls were 17-18 weeks .. From then on that layer has gotten regular and 3 more have started and regulated ! Yay!! Now I have 4/14 girls laying this past week was the FIRST time I have ever not had to buy eggs - because I had a full dozen of farm fresh eggs in my frig!!! Eeeeeek I'm lovin this! 10 more to get goin!!
yep - now to find more recipes for them ...or someone to sell or give them to. I've got only three hens right now and may be able to keep up with them with three big boys at home. Any extras I'm sure I can give to friends or sisters.

Congratulations BR Girl! I love to smirk at the egg case in the grocery store. I'm back in to the egg countdown with a new set of LF English Orps. Both are about 17 weeks and turning red this week. No squatting though. I think I'll have a bit longer to wait with this breed than the standard layers. But they sure are sweet. I'm envious of those with different egg colors!

Can I ask a question? My first girl laid her first egg on 7/13 but nothing for the next 2 days and none of the other girls started either. At what point did your hens start laying more regular? A couple of weeks?
hu.gif

Thanks in advance from a newbie!

yep - now to find more recipes for them ...or someone to sell or give them to. I've got only three hens right now and may be able to keep up with them with three big boys at home. Any extras I'm sure I can give to friends or sisters.
That's why I started off w 14 layers haha my household goes thru 3 dozen a week or so sometimes I swear ! I was tired of buyin eggs ! I will sell the extras or trade for other stuff ;) but yes lots of new recipes in store when I'm not limited!! Haha
Congratulations BR Girl! I love to smirk at the egg case in the grocery store. I'm back in to the egg countdown with a new set of LF English Orps. Both are about 17 weeks and turning red this week. No squatting though. I think I'll have a bit longer to wait with this breed than the standard layers. But they sure are sweet. I'm envious of those with different egg colors!
Ya know I thought they'd all come out the same shade of brown but they don't! It's like snowflakes.. Each one is different . I do have one hen that lays an ombré brown to tan everyday now . It's very pretty .
Can I ask a question? My first girl laid her first egg on 7/13 but nothing for the next 2 days and none of the other girls started either. At what point did your hens start laying more regular? A couple of weeks?
hu.gif
Thanks in advance from a newbie!
When my first egg was laid . That happened . Nothing for 2 days then an egg then nothing then an egg then an egg every day since - so a couple days . They've also switched times of laying on me . The newbies seem to start trying to lay at 4 where the girls who have gotten their laying going like to do it at 10-11 am so for a few days I was getting eggs 2 x a day ... Today they've all decided 10-11 is best and laid 4 eggs (2 in 2 boxes even tho there are 5 lol ) while a bunch of others watched .. Idk these are my first layers myself but so far in 13 days I went from 1 layer to 4 layers and the other 10 aren't far behind I'm guessing . They are all the same hatch age too mind you . And breed . It's just a waiting game I guess . Good luck!

For extra eggs.....chocolate soufflé or flour less chocolate cake yummy

Both of those, most standard recipes, make them gluten free too.

I used to make those all the time when I had a large laying flock....now, I am waiting for my new girls to get started!

Last edited:
Keep the faith PrairieK! The eggs will be so much better when greatly anticipated!

My English Orps are 17 weeks today. I've noticed that their redness has faded. Anybody know if this is potentially from heat? It's gotten in mid 90s lately. My older Austrolorp is now laying in the evening and my newly started BR has now missed 2 days in a row. I feel like I am going backwards.

My girls are 18 weeks today. I am also anxious for the first egg! Its really hot here so Im trying my best to keep the girls happy. :) I just noticed that on the last food run, my husband bought layer feed so they have been eating that for a few weeks, oh well. Hopefully it will be ok.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom