First egg, first post, first year raising

Papi chulo

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
My question, what is the beat thing to feed golden comets and isa reds once they start laying. We got our first egg today and the kids were just crazy!! I have blended in some ouster shells with food, started about a week ago. Medicated 16%? Normal? I’m planning on blending what i have left of 22% and 16% until the 22 runs out.
I have 16 week old ( 1 golden comet, 2 isa reds), 12 week old ( 4 americauna ).
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 5288E5FE-9211-4A3C-A733-3FEEC7E555BF.jpeg
    5288E5FE-9211-4A3C-A733-3FEEC7E555BF.jpeg
    771.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1540D0BD-AA9B-4F8A-B713-043F2EC699DF.jpeg
    1540D0BD-AA9B-4F8A-B713-043F2EC699DF.jpeg
    629.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Kids are livid? Angry? Why? :confused:
You don't need to blend up the oyster shell, just put it in a separate dish. They will take what they need. You should also be providing grit in another dish, but you probably know that. I think the 16% protein is fine, but you can mix the two together, that's fine too. We have a flock of mixed birds, some that are laying and some not ... a couple of roosters, some older hens past laying age, some going into molt .... so we feed an "all-flock" formula. It doesn't contain calcium, which is very hard on the non-layers' kidneys. By providing the oyster shell separately, only the birds that need it will get it.

You don't need to blend up the oyster shell, just put it in a separate dish. They will take what they need. You should also be providing grit in another dish, but you probably know that. I think the 16% protein is fine, but you can mix the two together, that's fine too. We have a flock of mixed birds, some that are laying and some not ... a couple of roosters, some older hens past laying age, some going into molt .... so we feed an "all-flock" formula. It doesn't contain calcium, which is very hard on the non-layers' kidneys. By providing the oyster shell separately, only the birds that need it will get it.
livid as in Mad happy

Back
Top Bottom