First egg from one of my new pullets...

Fletch83

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Texas
And it was shell-less so I didn't take a photo! LOL....at least she tried, unlike my other freeloaders
lau.gif
Picking up oyster shell later today. Better luck on her next attempt!!

I've had 3 of those in the last 2 days. We just got 33 new girls this past spring and so far only 1 has layed hard shell eggs. At least I know we are getting closer though. I count new 3 eggs as 3 eggs, even if I can't use them. My wife calls all the young ones freeloaders too, since we aren't seeing the production she wants yet. Can't wait for September!

my hens were on starter feed for a few weeks after they started to lay

only 1 soft egg shell problem.. but that was before i put the nesting boxes in the coop..

i think that particular egg was from the leghorn that was picked on ..

switched to over to layer feed for about 2 weeks now and so far so good..

She did better on her second try! Here is her egg next to one of my EE hen's eggs for scale:

The lighting isn't very good in the photo, but her egg is actually very pink in color, which is interesting! I'm used to seeing the green ones from the EE's. Anyway, good job!

Mine too! We got 2 eggs yesterday from the new girls, both RIR from observing the in and out activity. Both hard shell and one was HUGE. Which is what we are hoping for on a regular basis. We've had mostly bantams for 3 years and it takes 3 eggs to make an omelet!
None of our EE have layed yet. They are part of the slacker group. That new group is EE, RIR, BR, and RSL. All born 3/31 to 4/15.

Back
Top Bottom