FIRST EGG from our Welsummer

Congrats on the beautiful egg!  I hope that is not a "current" picture of Ava, or my Welsummers better get on the stick, as I have several with much bigger combs & wattles, but no eggs! They only turned 21 weeks yesterday, so I guess I'll give them some time.  Where did you get Ava from?  I would be happy with such a nice egg from mine.  Enjoy.

Cindy... Yep, took the pic the same day she laid (yesterday) both the one in the thread and the one for my avatar. The avatar gives you a better feel for her comb, which is still growing. I bought her from a local breeder at about 2 weeks old. Now I can't wait until she settles into production and I can have more/larger of these gorgeous eggs :)

Hi and congratulations on the GORGEOUS EGG!!!!! Ava is a beautiful girl too. I have 10 Wellie pullets that I've raised since a few days old - also have many Wellie Roos. I expect my 'girls' to start laying any time now as they look just like Ava and their combs are getting redder all the time. At what age did Ava begin to lay? I've heard Wellie's can take a
little longer to start than some other breeds but not sure what to expect. Thanks. I literally 'drooled' over the dark color and speckling on
Ava's egg - I will be so proud and excited if my Wellie's lay eggs that beautiful.

Last edited:
Hi and congratulations on the GORGEOUS EGG!!!!!   Ava is a beautiful girl too.  I have 10 Wellie pullets that I've raised since a few days old - also have many Wellie Roos.  I expect my 'girls' to start laying any time now as they look just like Ava and their combs are getting redder all the time.  At what age did Ava begin to lay?  I've heard Wellie's can take a
little longer to start than some other breeds but not sure what to expect.  Thanks.  I literally 'drooled' over the dark color and speckling on
Ava's egg - I will be so proud and excited if my Wellie's lay eggs that beautiful.

Thank you... I am certainly proud. Is it silly that it is more fun to cook with a pretty egg. These girls are our starter flock, and I can't wait to add some more Wellies. Do you plan on breeding? That is something we are contemplating for the future too, although that is a future decision for us!

Ava was about 22 weeks when she atarted laying. Her comb isn't fully developed, but it is an even brighter red than the pics give credit for.

Good luck! I bet your eggs will be just as gorgeous!

Yes, we plan on eventually breeding our Wellies but probably won't be able to do so this
season due to some health issues. We started out with Barred Rocks, originally ordered
Wellies but the hatchery called and said they didn't hatch out so asked if BRs would be ok
and we said yes. Love the BRs and have bred them and sell their hatching eggs and chicks,
started pullets but added Wellies about 6 months ago. We also have two Easter Eggers pullets
and an EE roo that we will breed in the future.

Got my first Wellie egg the other day, it's gorgeous but not nearly as dark as I had hoped, maybe her 'sisters' will give me some darker and spotted eggs. Even if my Wellie eggs from these girls
don't get darker I love the birds, their temperament, look and personalities.

I'm excited about getting some beautiful Black Australorp Hens and possibly a BA Roo this weekend
from a local breeder. I've been wanting to add BAs to my flock for quite a while now.

Take care!

I'm still waiting for my Welsummers to lay, so congrats on your's. How old is Ava? I know how exciting it is to begin getting those eggs from pullets.

My EE'ers were the first to lay and pretty consistant. All the hens' (who have been laying) eggs are getting larger now, and one was larger and heavier than the "large" eggs we bought from the store.

Has been several years since I raised chickens, so it is fun to get back into them, and in a much bigger way this time.

I got my first egg ever today! It's just beautiful! My SS hens are a few days shy of 20 weeks. Not sure who layer it. I'm just so excited.:D

Congratulations! It has been fun watching our girl's eggs slowly increase from tiny tots to almost "real" egg size...now you can too!

Back
Top Bottom