First egg.....in the poop box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Real McChicks, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Real McChicks

Real McChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    California
    Super excited to see our first egg today![​IMG]
    Not so excited that it was in the poop box and not in the nesting boxes. So- any suggestions on how to get them to lay in a better place?
    In our coop, under the roost we have a long shallow plastic bin as a poop box. It wasnt quite long enough, so we also have a small shoebox size poop box- which is where she chose to lay. I removed the small box, pushed out the nesting boxes forward to make them more visible. I also put in some fake eggs. Any other ideas?.

2. mnabity

mnabity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Eagar, AZ
    Other than physically putting her in the box if you can catch her clues when she's getting ready to lay, you've done everything I've seen for ideas. I'm not an expert by anymeans but from what I've read and my little bit of experience it seems that the first egg or few eggs kinda catch them by suprise but once they get used to the process they often figure out the nest box on their own. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Miki

BTW-Congratulations on the first egg!

3. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Yeah for the first egg!

Removing the small box, making the nesting boxes more visible, and adding the fake eggs are all good. They can be surprised by the first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by