First egg is a little tiny thing.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tootie123, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Tootie123

Tootie123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia USA
    Is it normal for the first egg to be about the size of an under size golf ball?
    I have 8 hens that are turning 16 weeks old and think one of them is starting
    to lay. Found this small egg in the nest along with two of the regular size eggs
    that my two older hens laid..... Don't remember getting that small of an egg
    from the two older hens when they first started laying.....
    Hens usually start to lay around 16-18 weeks of age correct?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    16 to 18 weeks is a little young, but not impossible that a pullet might start on the early side. Sometimes an initial egg or so may be very tiny, but also a hen at the end of a laying cycle may lay a 'fart' egg.

3. heirloomorps

heirloomorps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2012
    Brooksville, FL
    My Coop
    We had a Cochin pullet just start laying and her first egg was about half an inch across! She started laying a lot later than 16-18 weeks, that is normally too soon for chickens.

4. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    A lot of hens first eggs are on the small side.

5. 7 Biddies

7 Biddies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop
    My girls' eggs were small to start. After a few days/weeks, they began getting larger. Now, after laying for several months, I'm getting everything from small (the bantam) to jumbo. My Buff Orpington's are HUGE! It just takes a little while for the egg machinery to get geared up.

6. Tootie123

Tootie123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia USA
    I have Buff Orphingtons too, four of them. Four Plymouth Rocks and the two older
    hens are Rhode Island Reds. As I remember my Reds were about 18 weeks old
    when they started laying but just didn't remember their eggs being that "small."
    Thanks for the impute.

7. ci_cyfarth

ci_cyfarth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2011
    Columbia, MO
    The first eggs my flock laid were pretty small, yeah. Now they're big enough that sometimes they don't quite fit in commercial cartons!

Give it time. They'll get bigger. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by