First egg!! Is it a chick?

Yes, sometimes the hens build up a clutch before setting, but some hens are happy setting on one egg.
Not all hens will brood.

Your hens may or may not go broody, and it will be in their own time.
Thank you that is helpful! So how long should I leave it there (for the hen to sit on it) before the egg goes bad to eat? Also, if we moved the egg will she find it or just lay another somewhere else if she even does

Young hens don’t tend to go broody immediately after starting to lay, it may take months or years if she decides to brood at all. She will continue to lay eggs weather you take them or not. If you want to eat the eggs collect them daily and leave fake eggs or golf balls where you want your hens to lay.

Thank you that is helpful! So how long should I leave it there (for the hen to sit on it) before the egg goes bad to eat? Also, if we moved the egg will she find it or just lay another somewhere else if she even does
She isn’t gonna brood. Maybe once a year, but other wise she really isn’t. She won’t, say, lay 7 eggs and then brood.

Some breeds - think game fowl, cochins, silkies or crosses thereof - will lay a clutch and then go broody. Time of year is off a bit, but I have had hens lay , set, and brood as many as 5 clutches in a year. If the hen set and raised chicks, it is very likely that her daughters will eventually go broody as it is a hereditary trait in my experience. Understand that if you hatch and raise chicks roughly half will be cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom