First egg layer being picked on

Samsurgany

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2020
Salt Lake City Utah
I’m new to owning chickens but I cannot find any articles anywhere that explains my flock.
I have 4 chickens—I got all 4 May 7th. 3 of the 4 were brand new and one was a week to 1.5 wks older (my Easter Egger which was advertised as an Ameraucana). The Easter egger has always been the more dominant one but none got picked. As they’ve gotten older the Easter egger will fluff up and charge and jump up but that’s it. The other girls would jump up and defend and that would be that.
2 days ago, my Silver Laced Wyandotte laid 2 eggs And ever since (so just today) the Easter egger is bullying her and she is visibly cowarding (lowers her head around the EE and stays away from the others). We caught the EE and put her in a “timeout” away from the bullied one (Wyandotte) and other 2 and all 3 got along great. Once we let the EE out again, she went back to bullying the Wyandotte.
I know my Wyandotte is not sick (at least she appears very healthy and was the first to lay) and I know there is a pecking order but why would the dominant one attack the one who laid eggs? She’s huddled in the corner of the coop tonight while the EE and other 2 nest together.
Any help or suggestions? I am ordering a “sick”/“timeout” run tomorrow to use to seclude the bullier or bullied and use for future needs.
thank you in advance for any insight why this is happening!

Attachments

• 90429F16-7EFB-4CCB-8D19-09886AE458E6.jpeg
    90429F16-7EFB-4CCB-8D19-09886AE458E6.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 25
This is interesting... I've never heard of this before, but I do have a few theories.

It is probable that egg laying i.e reproductive ability is part of how pecking order develops, and even if she didn't mean too, laying first made the wyandotte a threat to the EE's position.

It might also be the wyandotte changing behavior. But honestly I do think the first is more likely.

Regardless, the solution is the same. Isolating the bully is an excellent start, but boosting the confidence of the bullied hen is also helpful. Lots of distractions should help, such as treats. I fixed an issue with my entire flock attacking a returned broody member, by feeding them pasta. Things that imitate worms make great enrichment :D

Do you have more than one nest box? Four hens should have at least two, or issues happen.

If the EE is close enough, you might actually keep her separate until she starts laying herself.

In the meanwhile, you might give the poor girl a break by putting one of them in a box during a feeding time, just for a little.

Sablehaven:
Great! I am currently in the process of getting a portable run and extra box to separate the dominant one for a week (should it be that long?). I will use these tips of boosting my Wyandotte’s confidence again. The main coop has 3 nesting boxes so they have room—This has never been an issue until she laid 2 eggs. Strangest thing and I couldn’t find_any_information on it.

I'd go with one week or longer, no less.

Monitor how she is doing with the other hens, and you might have to put her on the roost manually, to show her that nothing will happen.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/do-chickens-ever-lay-two-eggs-per-day.545533/

I didn't know anything about this, but apparently it happens very rarely, mostly with young hens. Like fairy eggs, but rare : )

When you do reintroduce the dominant hen, do so with a long stick to give anyone who gets an attitude a quick poke : P

[QUOTE="Sablehaven, post: 23249743, member: 574720"

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/do-chickens-ever-lay-two-eggs-per-day.545533/

I didn't know anything about this, but apparently it happens very rarely, mostly with young hens. Like fairy eggs, but rare : )
[/QUOTE]

yes it was very odd! But I’m sure it was her. The first one was very elongated and was cracked. The second one was small but normal looking. Today she laid one in the box she was in.
I’ll take these suggestions and run with them! Thank you. A little nervous about the bullying not stopping but I’m just going to take it one day at a time. 😄

Chickens are funny creatures : P first few eggs are always weird.

One day at a time is all we can do, and you can always ask for more help : )

[QUOTE="Sablehaven, post: 23249743, member: 574720"

yes it was very odd! But I’m sure it was her. The first one was very elongated and was cracked. The second one was small but normal looking. Today she laid one in the box she was in.
I’ll take these suggestions and run with them! Thank you. A little nervous about the bullying not stopping but I’m just going to take it one day at a time. 😄
[/QUOTE]
How are you sure it was her? 2 of your other birds are brown egg layers.

Any help or suggestions? I am ordering a “sick”/“timeout” run tomorrow to use to seclude the bullier or bullied and use for future needs.
thank you in advance for any insight why this is happening!
Tight space in that prefab coop.......that can exacerbate pecking order issues because the subordinate birds can't get the 4-6 feet away from the dominant ones.
Instead of buying another small coop, get a bigger one for living and use the prefab for isolation.

Also, onset of lay is rife with conflict due to hormones running high and laying birds typically being higher in the pecking order.

They have way more room than just that coop. That was just taken at night while they were sleeping. I have about a 30’ x 18’ run. There are plenty of places they can sleep too.

Back
Top Bottom