first egg made me wanna post

newfarmgirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 3, 2011
OK..so I have been lurking around this site for about 3 months. Hubby and I bought a farm in August, and as a housewarming present, he bought me a coop and ordered me four chickens. All is great in my world, right? That lasted about a month before a neighbors dog found my hen house and promptly killed 2 of my beautiful Rhode Island Reds. (so sad) The other 2 white leghorns..well they hid out in the coop until the crazy dog was chased away by a REALLY mad ME. The neighbor has promptly turned on her electric fence shortly thereafter and promised to replace the chickens in the spring.. We had a running joke. "why did those hens survive?"..."because they were two chicken"! sorry..humor got me through the tragedy, and lets face it-its kinda funny.
Anyway- I was assured these gals would be great layers. Time moved on and no eggs. sigh. they said maybe they were too traumatized and it would take longer. still- no eggs. the chickens were about 20 weeks old in December. I had given up. I was told they probably wouldn't lay until the spring when the light hours were longer. Yesterday I noticed that my ladies were very active and coming out of the coop often. ( a little unusual behavior for them-remember, they were too chicken..lol) I checked, and sure enough..they had lots of food and water. Today I go out to give them a little tomato and lettuce bits-low and behold.....2 eggs!!! I am so happy!!! I just had to share my experience, bad humor, and joy at the first egg. This is a great site, and I cannot wait until I figure out how to post pictures.
Just call me one happy new farm girl
big_smile.png

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. Unfortunatly we have to take the bad with the good when it comes to our feathered friends. Fresh eggs are the greatest.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom