First egg...nick of time

Xerocles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Clinton (piedmont) S.C.
Ok. I had resigned myself to the fact that I might not get any eggs until next spring. My initial research indicated chickens start laying in about 20 weeks. My 6 Easter Eggers were brought home the first week of April. Subsequent research on byc says it could take up to 40 weeks. My run is in extremely deep shade all day, and the birds were only off Roost about 12 hours even in the longest days of summer. So the pessimist in me decided I would probably have to wait until spring for my first eggs. In the last few weeks their combs have been going from red to pink to red. Then last week one of them actually squatted. To my shock and surprise. Today when I open the coop I found it! FIRST EGG!!! The $1500 prize! Dropped in the corner of the coop, nowhere near the nesting boxes. But I suppose that will come. Not 100% sure who mama is. But strongly suspect the one who squatted. Everybody has names but two of the pullets are so identical that I can't tell them apart. They are drumstick one and drumstick two. Very plain, nondescript Birds. But one of them is suddenly my favorite! Especially since I half jokingly said that no eggs by Labor Day meant that I was going to invite the preacher over for Sunday dinner. Older Country folk will get the meaning of that.
Smallish in size to be expected from a first. Not really blue, not really green but at least a pleasing color. Pictures beside a store-bought white egg for comparison. I HAVE LAYERS!
20190829_071448.jpg

Sweet! Congrats! Yup you are right, nest laying will come. I learned my new layers had lots of quirks to start...egg on the floor, soft shell, tiny started eggs...

Pretty lil greenie that is! Like they say, you get what you hope for when you quit looking for it lol.

My Ladies hatched in May. Waiting for eggs is harder than waiting for Christmas!! I'm still waiting....
I agree. At least with Christmas you have a firm date you can count down to. Mine were hatched the first week of April and I got the first egg the last week of August. She has been consistent one egg a day since. However, I only started getting 6 eggs from my 6 chickens less than a week ago. So another whole month.
How short are the days getting where you live? Since laying is dependent on daylight hours, your first egg MAY be a Christmas present. Or possibly even later. But I'll attach some encouragement for you. It will happen.
20190913_132738.jpg

I agree. At least with Christmas you have a firm date you can count down to. Mine were hatched the first week of April and I got the first egg the last week of August. She has been consistent one egg a day since. However, I only started getting 6 eggs from my 6 chickens less than a week ago. So another whole month.
How short are the days getting where you live? Since laying is dependent on daylight hours, your first egg MAY be a Christmas present. Or possibly even later. But I'll attach some encouragement for you. It will happen.View attachment 1921710
That photo is indeed encouraging! Well, I wish I were in beautiful South Carolina, but I am in Canada. Where I live is equivalent to the northern part of New York state. Days are getting shorter. I will be putting a light up in the coop on a timer shortly and I hope that helps. Right now we are working on getting power out to the coop. Fingers crossed since my neighbour has been wanting to buy eggs!

Back
Top Bottom