First Egg! Now what?!

Plinky

Chirping
Mar 9, 2016
Yesterday we found the first egg laid by our 4.5 month old pullets (we think from the RIRed as she was acting strangely defensive when we picked it up).
I am still feeding them an good starter-grower crumble feed as well as regular size grit and various greens (lettuce, dandelions, chick weed) and watermelon rinds, occasional grub found in the garden, etc. They do not free range.
Should I start giving calcium? Should I switch feed? even though the others are not laying yet?
Thanks for the input.

Yesterday we found the first egg laid by our 4.5 month old pullets (we think from the RIRed as she was acting strangely defensive when we picked it up).
I am still feeding them an good starter-grower crumble feed as well as regular size grit and various greens (lettuce, dandelions, chick weed) and watermelon rinds, occasional grub found in the garden, etc. They do not free range.
Should I start giving calcium? Should I switch feed? even though the others are not laying yet?
Thanks for the input.

IMO continue to feed the starter/grower, just offer oyster shell free choice. Those that begin to lay eggs, will take what that need.

Once they all start to lay eggs, you can switch to layer feed it you want, still provide OS free choice or you can continue with an all flock/flock raiser and offer OS free choice.

I have a mixed flock, so I use all flock/flock raiser year round, providing OS free choice. I like the extra protein. Mine love to get all the goodies you mention above. I get beautiful eggs with nice hard shells, so it works for me
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom