First egg now what?

khrystianp81

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
My oldest hen just laid her first egg!!! I have her approximately 5 months old and 10 mystic onyx hens who are 3 months. Now that she is laying eggs what do I need to do? Change? Feed? Help lol. What can I expect?

They have been on Purina non medicated hatch and grow crumble, Purina scratch grain and treats. Now I move to layer feed right? And what about the roo in the girls coop? Can they eat layer feed? I also have a bachelor pad of 4 Roos that are completely separate (my first 6 included 1 hen and 5 Roos) can they eat later feed?

I appreciate the advice!!

I attached a picture of nuggets first egg.. it's so cute!!

Attachments

• 71398331605__957D85DD-ACAC-4263-9407-4E951E807C2A.jpeg
    71398331605__957D85DD-ACAC-4263-9407-4E951E807C2A.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 97
Roos can have layer feed but it is not best for them they need more protein than calcium which is in hens food. I currently feed my hens Purina Layena. Purina flock Raiser Feed, contains 20% protein and around 1% calcium, making this an excellent rooster food source. But not so good for laying hens. You can try to feed them separately however works best for you. I hope this helped.

Roos can have layer feed but it is not best for them they need more protein than calcium which is in hens food. I currently feed my hens Purina Layena. Purina flock Raiser Feed, contains 20% protein and around 1% calcium, making this an excellent rooster food source. But not so good for laying hens. You can try to feed them separately however works best for you. I hope this helped.
What's the difference between crumble and pellet? What's better?

I use pellets because in each bite they get a bit of everything but with crumbles and mash they may pick through it and don’t get enough nutrients. Pellets are more compact and crumbles and mash are pretty much just mashed pellets. Crumbles aren’t mashed as much as mash.

There's no need to change feeds if you don't want. If you don't already have a source of calcium available on the side (oyster shell, egg shell), put it out now. Since you have so many males it's best you don't switch to layer unless you plan on processing all the boys sooner or later, as the extra calcium can cause kidney damage over time.
Pellets are more compact and crumbles and mash are pretty much just mashed pellets. Crumbles aren’t mashed as much as mash.
Crumbles are simply crushed pellets. Mash has a variety of different meanings, it can be almost powdered feed, or a whole grain minimally processed feed.

Doesn't really matter...what matters is what's inside, learn to read the nutrition percentages label.
Ok another question what can I expect for her laying. I'm not sure her breed but in 4 days I have 3 eggs she didn't lay today. My 10 mystic onyx should begin laying soon I think based on age... anything besides calcium I should or can do to encourage egg production and make them happy lol

Ok another question what can I expect for her laying. I'm not sure her breed but in 4 days I have 3 eggs she didn't lay today. My 10 mystic onyx should begin laying soon I think based on age... anything besides calcium I should or can do to encourage egg production and make them happy lol
Nugget is the brown hen. She lays blue/green eggs

Attachments

• IMG_7182.jpeg
    IMG_7182.jpeg
    779.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 71398331605__957D85DD-ACAC-4263-9407-4E951E807C2A.jpeg
    71398331605__957D85DD-ACAC-4263-9407-4E951E807C2A.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom