First egg......or so I thought.

I opened up the nesting boxes and there it was...my first egg. After taking pictures and being so excited, I went in the run to visit the girls. When I knelt down to “talk” to them, imagine my surprise when there were 5 eggs sitting in their dust bath. Ugh! Since the dust bath was under to coop, I hadn’t looked there since I cleaned the run on Saturday. Won’t be eating those, but soon enough I will have plenty of eggs. I am enjoying these chickens even more than I thought I would!
:lol::gig

That's a great story!

Put some fake eggs or golf balls in the nests to lure them to lay there.
Different bedding than coop floor might help too.

:lol::gig

That's a great story!

Put some fake eggs or golf balls in the nests to lure them to lay there.
Different bedding than coop floor might help too.
I have ceramic eggs in there. But I’m definitely going to change the bedding since they keep kicking it out anyways. I thought about maybe nesting pads??

How funny! What bedding or material are you using in your nest boxes? I find that mine enjoy wood shavings with many different scrap pieces of juniper or twigs in their nest boxes, woven together to create a little circle around the shavings.
Try some home-grown herbs, too. Any of the standard herbs you can eat are safe for them and make everything nice and sweet!

I have ceramic eggs in there. But I’m definitely going to change the bedding since they keep kicking it out anyways. I thought about maybe nesting pads??
New layers will make mess of nests at first.
A nest front of 4-6" high will help.
Pads could work, never used them here.
I like a good flake of straw shoved in tight then 'bowled' out a bit.

What are these pads. Never heard of them. Mine like to make there own bowl shape. If I do it the immediately reconfigure it. Lol. Picky girls

What are these pads. Never heard of them. Mine like to make there own bowl shape. If I do it the immediately reconfigure it. Lol. Picky girls
You can buy them on Amazon. I have no idea if they are any good. I just had to crawl under my coop for another egg.

Attachments

• 31508CFA-E6E7-4ABF-AEC0-5D3E85A4EB52.jpeg
    31508CFA-E6E7-4ABF-AEC0-5D3E85A4EB52.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom