First egg questions?!

ktrubright

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2017
Morris, Il
We started getting our first egg on Saturday. Which I thought was kind of early since it is February (middle of winter in IL). I was just wondering what the first few eggs look like (color/size). We have 5 red sex link girls and 5 plymouth rock girls. Do either of those lay big brown eggs or do they stay the size of white eggs that you buy at the store? Does the color of the eggs vary between light and dark brown?

Also, what age do plymouth rocks usually start to lay? I'm pretty sure that the eggs we are getting are coming from 1-2 of our red sex links.

We started getting our first egg on Saturday. Which I thought was kind of early since it is February (middle of winter in IL). I was just wondering what the first few eggs look like (color/size). We have 5 red sex link girls and 5 plymouth rock girls. Do either of those lay big brown eggs or do they stay the size of white eggs that you buy at the store? Does the color of the eggs vary between light and dark brown?

Also, what age do plymouth rocks usually start to lay? I'm pretty sure that the eggs we are getting are coming from 1-2 of our red sex links.

Are you saying your first egg was White? Both of the breeds you mentioned should be brown, But not a dark brown----maybe even a very light tan.

No, it was brown but it was small like white eggs. All of the eggs we've gotten since Saturday have been a bit of a darker tan but we got one today that was very light, is that normal? Does the color usually change like that or could that be from a different chicken? Do those breeds lay bigger eggs or no?

The first eggs of a pullet are often very small - they increase in size and regularity of production in the first weeks/months of laying.

No, it was brown but it was small like white eggs. All of the eggs we've gotten since Saturday have been a bit of a darker tan but we got one today that was very light, is that normal? Does the color usually change like that or could that be from a different chicken? Do those breeds lay bigger eggs or no?

Could be a different chicken. What you are getting is called pullet eggs. The eggs will get some bigger for the next few weeks, but neither of those breeds are going to lay extra large eggs regularly. their second year of laying the eggs will get a little larger. Now keep in mind you can get a egg once and a while that is huge---double yolk etc, but again that happens more in their second + years of laying.

Back
Top Bottom