First egg questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hockeygirl56, Sep 19, 2011.

1. hockeygirl56

hockeygirl56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    So I finally got my first egg! I knew there would be noise but I was surprised just how much everyone celebrated! I do have a couple questions though.
    1. She didn't lay in her nest box...she chose to make a spot on the other side of the shed between a bunch of straw and the wall. I had taken the straw i had in the nest boxes out and replaced with shavings bc they just kicked the straw out, but after that I made the front of the box higher and put straw in. There's already a golf ball in there to help show where to go...any other suggestions?
    2. I just went in tonight to find an egg with no shell on their poop board...I know it's pretty normal to happen when first laying, and no one is acting weird, so anything to worry about? I'm feeding layer food with 16% protein...haven't added oyster shells bc I've heard if you feed layer food it's already good on calcium. Any ideas there?
    And finally...a picture of my beautiful green egg!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like you are doing everything right. If there are appealing places to lay other than their nest boxs like loose straw on the ground they may continue to lay there. You can also put a mark on the egg and put it in the box so you know which one to leave if she lays another. Some times nothing helps! [​IMG]

3. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

We feed layer and oyster shells....I don't know if it makes a difference....

4. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    I am using training eggs. Just ceramic eggs in the nest box. I am putting two in each box. Seems to work. They are laying in the box and moving the ceramic eggs around. Plus they can't get into the bad habit of eating their eggs.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by