First egg, shell-less egg, frozen egg

SilkieLegs

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 27, 2013
We found our first ginnea egg in the coop two weeks ago. Two days later we found one on the ground without a shell. This weekend we stumbled upon a nest in the backyard with 20 eggs in it. All the Guinneas free range during the day but roost inside the coop at night. This morning all of the eggs in the nest are covered with snow with isubfreezing temperatures for several nights. Do I assume the eggs are frozen and what should I do with them?

I'd mark the old eggs and put them back in the nest. Then collect and save the fresh ones. If you take all the eggs out, they may start a new nest in a hidden location.

toss the eggs out,

it is common for guineas to have shell-less eggs when young. Their bodies are learning what to do.

get some fake eggs, put them in the nest. when you remove eggs, always leave the fake ones there. guineas are sensative to eggs missing. it is part of their wild nature.

Thank you, both. I appreciate the advice. I will do my best to not disturb too many and to preserve the location of her nest. I really wish she would use the 2 x 8 nesting box inside the coop. But that's okay because her current location can be seen from my bedroom window with binoculars!

I also need some help with my guineas. I only have two females but we free range them on fourty acres and first of all I want to know if they will still nest out somewhere hidden even though they don't have mates,and also if they do should I o looking for them or should I leave them.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

6esandchicks

If you can possible get your females to lay their eggs inside the coop, that is definitely the way to go. SilkieLegs, if you leave the nest outside for her to lay on, the possibility of her getting attacked and killed during the night just aren't worth the risk. I would take all the eggs away from that nest....knock the nest apart.....and put some of the eggs inside the coop where you would like her to lay. After this is done, leave your guineas inside the coop until after the females have laid their daily egg (typically, they lay sometime in the morning....mine always did around 12:30, though). After they're done, let them go outside to free-range. Mine went broody when there were about 30 or so eggs in the nest. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom