1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First egg-smashed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by higgdm, Sep 13, 2009.

1. higgdm

higgdm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    Vashon Island
    One of my 20 week old chicks finally laid an egg yesterday. I found it this morning-in the middle of the coop-empty, trampled and pecked on. Very sad:(
    How do you teach them to use the nesting boxes? Is pecking on eggs a typical behavior?
    D

2. shanonspeeps

shanonspeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    Roll Tide Country
    I've read that putting a golf ball in the nest will not only show them where to lay but also teach them that the "egg" is to hard to break and will stop the habit.

3. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Not all that unusual, quite often the hens are surprised when an egg comes out and will investigate what it is and peck to see if it's edible, they do love fresh eggs and now and then one hen may actually start cannabalizing eggs on a regular basis if she gets away with it before you catch her.
    I'd try some wooden or ceramic eggs or even golf balls as suggested above at this time in the nests, if they peck these, which they are likely do do after the hen lays then gets out of the nest, they won't learn that they can break an egg......
    Also, never feed the hens eggshells in large pieces, always crush them, eggshell is a good source of calcium for the girls.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I've also observed that pullets are not graceful. I always have a handful of squashed eggs when the girls first start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by