First egg soft shell.

Quote:
I wish there was a way to make your posts have to be read upside down, be anyone above the equator. I live in "up over".
smile.png

Thank you for the information on first egg issues. My 20 week old Barred Rock Daisy had such an issue this afternoon. It was a very soft ,partially formed egg. I knew that I could find the information here on this site to assure me that this is not uncommon for first timers. I am so thankful to have found this site!
D.gif

Hi all-

I am starting to feel guilty that I only come here to get my questions answered and never offer any solutions. That said, our baby girl, Penguin is starting to lay. She is a black sex link about 20 weeks old. She is laying a deflated shell (light beige) and just the white of the egg. My question comes from her run-mate who is a year and a half and lays about 3 times a week. The older hen will come into the nesting box, grab the deflated shell, and eat it. The younger chases after the older trying to get her shell back and puts up an enormous fit when the older does it...in fact every time the older enters the hen house the younger goes ballistic. literally every time! The thing is we only have 2 hens and we made 2 nesting boxes...so I don't know what to do. Do we ride this out and assume they will figure it out? Or is there something we should be doing?

I'm happy to say all is well for our hens. They are laying nicely and sharing a nesting box. Thanks to anyone who considered posting.

Back
Top Bottom